Old 02-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default dialup modemspeed change

Am 2008-02-03 12:07:11, schrieb Douglas A. Tutty:
> You're probably too far away from the telco's D/A converter to get 56K.
> Welcome to dialup-for-the-rest-of-us.

???

Sorry but, in Turkey where I have a haus at the end of the world and
there I am using V.90 and get over 5 kByte/sec and the ISP with its
Modem-Pool is in Ankara (arround 400 km distance).

> It also can depend on the quality of your modem. Some modems are more
> resistant/tolerant of noise on the line than others. I use a 3Com (USR)
> Courier (NOT sportster). These V-Everything modems (external serial)
> are supposed to be the best in the world. New, they cost hundreds of
> dollars. I purchased mine off eBay for $50 (+ S/H).

OK, I am using Sporster and V-Everything too... :-) ...ver 12 years
now and I can confirm, they are VERY High-Quality and have NEVER failed.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:38:14PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I'm going to guess that Telmex is a state-owned utility and not a
> private monopoly? That would explain the better service right
> there...

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Romania the telephone company
got a LOT better after being privatised.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Feb 11, 2008 8:39 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:38:14PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > I'm going to guess that Telmex is a state-owned utility and not a
> > private monopoly? That would explain the better service right
> > there...
>
> I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Romania the telephone company
> got a LOT better after being privatised.

Privatization works in third-world economies. Give it time: As soon
as they realize they're a monopoly and has a newly relatively rich
Romanian public by the balls, expect service to decline and prices to
climb. Day 396 waiting for Qwest to fix my broken phone line...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 02-12-2008, 01:15 AM