-   -   HP print cartidge utilities... (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/46049-hp-print-cartidge-utilities.html)

"Javier Vasquez" 02-03-2008 01:55 PM

On Jan 27, 2008 11:45 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:25:26 -0600
> "Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

> HPLIP has several tabs, one labelled Tools, where cartridge cleaning,
> alignment and colour calibration can be performed.
>
> If you have a multi-function device (print, scan and fax machine)
> they're supported by HPLIP, too. There used to be an HPLIP mailing
> list, but they've recently moved to a web forum for support. It has
> several HP staff there, as it's the official HP support (for Linux)
> forum.

OK, I installed hpijs + hplip, with the whole cups, ahavi and dbus
stuff (this is the part I didn't want), but hey, I wanted hp tools,
:).

Bad news is that hp-info, hp-setup, and hp-toolset don't want to
recognize my HP-680C printer. So I'm like before. Weird thing is
that through the cups web interface, I can setup the printer with no
problem under /dev/lp0. With hp-setup I can get to manually set the
printer, but not to /dev/lp0 as with cups, but to /dev/parport0, and
at the end it indicates it didn't recognize the device. So pretty
much this HP toolset doesn't seem to recognize my printer, :(.

Has any one experienced these problems for hp-680c? If cups
recognized the printer smoothly, why not the HP toolset? In the cups
web interface I didn't find any way to run the HP applications, but I
feel like asking any ways, :), is there a way to run those
applications from the cups web interface, which recognized the printer
with no problem?

Thanks,

--
Javier

Brad Rogers 02-03-2008 02:56 PM

HP print cartidge utilities...

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:55:54 -0600
"Javier Vasquez" <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Javier,

> OK, I installed hpijs + hplip, with the whole cups, ahavi and dbus
> stuff (this is the part I didn't want), but hey, I wanted hp tools,
> :).

Yeah, I know; Sometimes a lot of "cruft", or at least, what to me
seems like cruft gets dragged in.

> Bad news is that hp-info, hp-setup, and hp-toolset don't want to
> recognize my HP-680C printer. So I'm like before. Weird thing is
> that through the cups web interface, I can setup the printer with no
> problem under /dev/lp0. With hp-setup I can get to manually set the
> printer, but not to /dev/lp0 as with cups, but to /dev/parport0, and
> at the end it indicates it didn't recognize the device. So pretty
> much this HP toolset doesn't seem to recognize my printer, :(.

For HPLIP to recognise your printer is *has* to be set up through the
HP device. For example, mine is named as follows (via CUPS);
hp:/par/HP_Business_Inkjet_1200?device=/dev/parport0

> Has any one experienced these problems for hp-680c? If cups

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet.html says your
printer is supported, and has been since v0.9.5 of HPLIP.

> recognized the printer smoothly, why not the HP toolset? In the cups
> web interface I didn't find any way to run the HP applications, but I

You can't, AFAICT.

I had to delete everything in $HOME to do with a previous HPLIP
installation, as there was a big jump in Debian (Testing) from v0.9.5
to v2.7.10. There were significant changes in the way it all worked,
which caused me problems.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks
Orgasm Addict - Buzzcocks