Old 02-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Steve Kleene

Default saving streaming video to disk

Our local public-access cable station posts most of its shows on the web as
streaming video. I can play these in Iceweasel, which calls the mplayer
plugin. While a show is playing, two identical processes are running, e.g.:

mplayer -wid 0x160192b -vf scale=320:-3 -osdlevel 1 -nojoystick
-noconsolecontrols -cookies -softvol -slave -user-agent NSPlayer
-nomouseinput -cache 512 http://70.61.148.132/WXOD/WCT%2016283.WMV?MSWMExt=.asf

I can also play the show just by pasting the last argument
(http://70.61.148.132/WXOD/WCT%2016283.WMV?MSWMExt=.asf) into the browser URL
window.

Is there a way I can download the whole video (as WMV or ASF) to my hard
drive? I messed with wget briefly without success.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Magnus Therning

Steve Kleene wrote:
> Our local public-access cable station posts most of its shows on the web as
> streaming video. I can play these in Iceweasel, which calls the mplayer
> plugin. While a show is playing, two identical processes are running, e.g.:
>
> mplayer -wid 0x160192b -vf scale=320:-3 -osdlevel 1 -nojoystick
> -noconsolecontrols -cookies -softvol -slave -user-agent NSPlayer
> -nomouseinput -cache 512 http://70.61.148.132/WXOD/WCT%2016283.WMV?MSWMExt=.asf
>
> I can also play the show just by pasting the last argument
> (http://70.61.148.132/WXOD/WCT%2016283.WMV?MSWMExt=.asf) into the browser URL
> window.
>
> Is there a way I can download the whole video (as WMV or ASF) to my hard
> drive? I messed with wget briefly without success.

It might be worth looking into the mplayer arguments named 'dumpfile'
and 'dumpstream'. I remember having some success with streaming to file
using a command line like

mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile out.ra -dumpstream 'rtsp://<ra file>'

Recently I've also been playing around with the streaming support in
VLC[1]. It support streaming to file through its 'sout' argument[2].

/M

[1]: http://www.videolan.org/
[2]: http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch06.html#id297783

--
Magnus Therning (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus´╝*therning´╝Äorg Jabber: magnus´╝Ätherning´╝*gmail´╝Äcom

What if I don't want to obey the laws? Do they throw me in jail with
the other bad monads?
-- Daveman

Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:24:06AM -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:
> Our local public-access cable station posts most of its shows on the web as
> streaming video. I can play these in Iceweasel, which calls the mplayer
> plugin. While a show is playing, two identical processes are running, e.g.:

> Is there a way I can download the whole video (as WMV or ASF) to my hard
> drive? I messed with wget briefly without success.

I've never used mplayer and I've never watched streamed video (I'm on
dialup). However, I do use VLC and note that there is an option to
stream the output while watching a stream. The output stream can go to
disk.

Try VLC.

Doug.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Steve Kleene

<<< text/plaintext: EXCLUDED >>>

Old 02-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Steve Kleene

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 09:24:06 -0500, I wrote:

> Is there a way I can download the whole video (as WMV or ASF) to my hard
> drive?

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:03:22 -0500, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
replied:

> I do use VLC and note that there is an option to stream the output while
> watching a stream. The output stream can go to disk.
>
> Try VLC.

Thanks, I will try it sometime. I've messed a lot with mplayer and mencoder
but had occasional problems I couldn't get past.