Old 02-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Ravi

Default How to specify a different apt archive directory

Normally the packages downloaded by apt are copied to /var/cache/apt/
archives/ . But I am low on disk space for root partition. How can I
ask apt to download those files to another directory and use then from
there for later use also.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 AM
David Paleino

Il giorno Sun, 3 Feb 2008 00:42:06 -0800 (PST)
Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Normally the packages downloaded by apt are copied to /var/cache/apt/
> archives/ . But I am low on disk space for root partition. How can I
> ask apt to download those files to another directory and use then from
> there for later use also.

zless /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

Put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf, or /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00yourlocalfile

Dir "/"
{
Cache "var/cache/apt/" {
Archives "archives/";
srcpkgcache "srcpkgcache.bin";
pkgcache "pkgcache.bin";
};
};

David

--
. '`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:42:06AM -0800, Ravi wrote:
> Normally the packages downloaded by apt are copied to /var/cache/apt/
> archives/ . But I am low on disk space for root partition. How can I
> ask apt to download those files to another directory and use then from
> there for later use also.

Where do you have space?

This is a good reason why /var/ shouldn't be on the / partition.
Especially /var/cache (and /var/spool).

Why not create a partition and mount it on /var/cache in fstab, rather
than messing with the FHS?

Doug.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Александър Л. Димитров

Quoth Douglas A. Tutty:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 12:42:06AM -0800, Ravi wrote:
> > Normally the packages downloaded by apt are copied to /var/cache/apt/
> > archives/ . But I am low on disk space for root partition. How can I
> > ask apt to download those files to another directory and use then from
> > there for later use also.
> >

> Where do you have space?
>
> This is a good reason why /var/ shouldn't be on the / partition.
> Especially /var/cache (and /var/spool).

Another reason to put /var on a seperate partition is filesystem fragmentation -
in Gentoo or FreeBSD, this can get really troublesome, because the compiles will
totally _hose_ your fs if / or even /home are not on another partition - but
even with apt's cache and all the things usually going on in /var (like
logfiles, temporary files...), things can get messy enough. /var always needs
its own partition, otherwise you'll see severe performance drawbacks...

in Ravi's case, I would just back up everything and then re-partition correctly,
or use LVM.

just my 2c...

Aleks