-   -   Changing Ethernet Drivers (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/45890-changing-ethernet-drivers.html)

Ron Johnson 02-03-2008 06:12 AM

Changing Ethernet Drivers

David Brodbeck 02-03-2008 08:45 PM

Changing Ethernet Drivers

On Feb 2, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/02/08 22:59, Johan Kullstam wrote:
[snip]

Btw are there are any motherboards *not* using this POS realtek?
Every new board I have bothered to check had it. I guess some might
have an intel ethernet chipset. Unfortunately, newegg didn't give a
way to search motherboard on the basis of on-board ethernet make.

NVIDIA boards use forcedeth.

Which may or may not be any better. It was written based on reverse-
engineering a binary-only driver and it's been notably buggy in the
past. The RealTek driver was at least written with the benefit of
manufacturer specs, but of course the chip design is pretty low-end.

If you want an Intel Ethernet chipset you'll probably have to spring
for a "real" Intel motherboard or use a separate card. I've also seen
Broadcom Tigon 3 gigabit chipsets in some Opteron systems, and those
seem to give good performance. I can't tell you what motherboards have
them, though; I've only seen them in pre-built systems.