Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default Getting started with Xen -- Xen enabled kernel for Lenny?

Am 2008-01-24 23:34:44, schrieb Martin Marcher:
> aptitude install xen-linx-image-2.6-xen-amd64
>
> no i'm not joking, those with the hypervisor and ioemu and i was set, I had
> the 2 or 3 minor updates since etch release and all of those kernels worked
> fine.

I am using the "xen-linx-image-2.6-xen-686" and it just
works on a AMD Sempron 2800+ but I was not able to
recompile this pig for a k7 which crash all the time.

> AGAIN: I didn't install any specific version i think i even
> used "linux-image-xen-amd64" - it just works with etch

:-)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-01-24 21:02:02, schrieb Ted Hilts:
> Also, I was talking about kernel versions higher than yours (up in the
> twenties where yours was 18) and 32 bit. But whether the CPU is 32 bit

Sorry, but I am using the latest "linux-image-2.6.23-1-xen-686" from
Unstable/Sid which I have tried to rebuild under my AMD Sempron but
without success (I use the make-kpkg targer "all" and it build all
without any Xen kernels)

> information the Xen Debian problem occurred on the 2.6 kernel at some
> point and there were many requests on the debian-user list asking why
> they could not get the AMD Xen stuff to work. So it will be interesting
> to see if things have now changed. I don't doubt your set up works and
> works well but I am willing to bet that the etch stable kernel version
> will not work for you. Maybe, with Debian 4.0 the problem has been
> resolved -- hope so!

Unfortunatly not, k7 does crash (kernel Oops) all the time while loading

Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-01-25 12:11:35, schrieb Martin Marcher:
> Any specific reason you need a newer kernel? (Again) I wouldn't do that on a
> server machine. Also xen patches are always a couple of versions behind -
> at least in my experience - so they only apply cleanly to the version
> stated on xensource

Yes, some of my newer Hardware is not recognized with 2.6.18...

Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
"Michael D. Norwick"

Michael D. Norwick wrote:

Michael D. Norwick wrote:

Rick Thomas wrote:

I'm trying to get started with Xen.

Still trying to build a Xen kernel with or without the dfsg. Found
this though;

http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/build-XEN-make-kpkg-ftopict384180.html

Michael
Still trying to compile a XEN enabled kernel and got somewhat farther.
Taking hints from a blog on building xen 3.2 specifically I found

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/hg-cheatsheet.txt

Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the initial page that linked to the
mercurial cheatsheet above. It essentially said that the xen 3.2 stable
source build was broken and that in order to get it to build correctly
it recommended downloading the whole 'testing' repository source tree
using the command;

$> hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.2-testing.hg

I wondered where hg was (I knew it was the symbol for mercury) as I did
not have that particular program installed. It turns out that the xen
project uses mercurial as a revision control system and that program
needed to be installed in order to clone the project source tree. Now I
have cvs, subversion AND mercurial. Using;

$> sudo apt-get install mercurial

brought in mercurial along with python 2.5 and friends. I was then able
to run the hg command and download the 'testing (3.2.1)' source tree. I
thought I had all the tools necessary to build xen a week ago but,
apparently not. The build is running now and I can relate the rest of
the story if anyone is interested. I would also like to try 'make
world' on the xen-3.2 directory to see if I just needed tools which were
not spelled out in the 'README'. I've used up a lot of bandwidth
(sorry!) at kernel.org getting linux 2.6.18 several times and still will
need to resolve;

1. The kernel xen-3.2 uses, appears to be set at linux-2.6.18 and
trying to use a more recent kernel version appears troublesome.
2. Building distribution packages are documented on RedHat, Ubuntu, and
CentOS, but debian will require some study (and I don't know if I care

about running xen from a .deb).

Michael