Old 11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Matthias Andersson

Default VLC player doesn't playback correctly

Hi!

I've installed vlc 1.1.3 according to the instructions at
www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html for unstable.

Now the problem is that all videos play black and white and the picture
is crammed to a quarter of the window to the left. I've tried all the
different settings but to no avail.

Another problem is that when I mount a partition on another machine and
try to play a video from there I always get a "Unable to open MRL" error.

What is going on?

//Matthias

Old 11-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:35:33 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> I've installed vlc 1.1.3 according to the instructions at
> www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html for unstable.
>
> Now the problem is that all videos play black and white and the picture
> is crammed to a quarter of the window to the left. I've tried all the
> different settings but to no avail.

Black/White & jolted video
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67743&p=225152

And maybe also:

Important notice for Debian/Ubuntu users
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70719

I wonder why VideoLAN does not provide Debian packages directly.

> Another problem is that when I mount a partition on another machine and
> try to play a video from there I always get a "Unable to open MRL"
> error.

Check out this thread:

VLC unable to open MRL
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/11/thrd2.html#00498

Wait... that were you :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Anand Sivaram

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 20:52, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:35:33 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> I've installed vlc 1.1.3 according to the instructions at

> www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html for unstable.

> Now the problem is that all videos play black and white and the picture

> is crammed to a quarter of the window to the left. I've tried all the

> different settings but to no avail.

Black/White & jolted video

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67743&p=225152

And maybe also:

Important notice for Debian/Ubuntu users

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70719

I wonder why VideoLAN does not provide Debian packages directly.

> Another problem is that when I mount a partition on another machine and

> try to play a video from there I always get a "Unable to open MRL"

> error.

Check out this thread:

VLC unable to open MRL

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/11/thrd2.html#00498

Wait... that were you :-?

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.11.26.15.22.00@gmail.com

That is because of libswscale and the one in Debian multimedia repository has problem.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Matthias Andersson

Old 11-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:49:20 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

>> VLC unable to open MRL
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/11/thrd2.html#00498
>>
>> Wait... that were you :-?
>>

> Ok, that solved the video issue. Now only the MRL issue remains.

How are you opening the file, what kind of file is it and what error
message are you getting?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Matthias Andersson

Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:55:58 +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> On 11/26/2010 06:36 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Ok, that solved the video issue. Now only the MRL issue remains.
>>
>> How are you opening the file, what kind of file is it and what error
>> message are you getting?
>>

> The files are .avi and .mp4 - both are on my desktop computer which is
> mounted through gnome "connect to server" with sftp.

Hmm... does VLC support "sftp://" protocol? :-?

I ask because in lenny I can't even open a PDF on my samba networked
share using Nautilus (smb://). It says: "operation not permitted".

But I suppose you can open the files fine when they are located in your
local hard disk, right?

> I launch the files through nautilus by double-clicking on the icons.
>
> A screenshot of the error message is attached.

So follow their wise advice and "check for the log for details" :-)

Also, try opening those remote files using VLC "File → open" dialog menu.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Matthias Andersson

Ok, now Totem will play a movie over sftp:// but vlc won't.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Frank

Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Matthias Andersson

On 11/26/2010 09:44 PM, Frank wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:40:10 +0200
> Matthias Andersson <matthias.andersson@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
>
>> Ok, now Totem will play a movie over sftp:// but vlc won't.
>

> Did you remove ALL the packages from debian multi-media. VLC can't
> coexist with them.

I did as instructed at
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70719 and apt-get remove
libavutil*

Is there a simple way of checking if there are any packages remaining
from debian-multimedia?

//Matthias