Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Default debian lenny no ipv6 forward

Hello,

I cannot get radvd to work out of the box because ipv6 forward is disabled
-----<quote>---------------
linbobo:/var/log# /etc/init.d/radvd start
Starting radvd:
* IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled.
* See /usr/share/doc/radvd/README.Debian
* radvd will *not* be started.
linbobo:/var/log#
-----<quote>---------------

However in sysctl.conf in sysctl.conf I have:
-----<quote>---------------
linbobo:~# grep ipv6 /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
#net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
#net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
linbobo:~#
-----<quote>---------------

And still...
-----<quote>---------------
linbobo:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
0
-----<quote>---------------

Even after several reboot with different firewall settings and other things
it still does not work as it should. Nothing in dmesg or syslog about why
the ipv6 forward is still off.

Anyone any idea what I need to look into?

What DOES work is starting it manualy:
-----<quote>---------------
linbobo:/var/log# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
linbobo:/var/log# /etc/init.d/radvd start
Starting radvd: radvd.
-----<quote>---------------
After that I can do an ipconfig /renew on my Windows PC and get the proper
ipv6 address and I can do a proper ipv6 ping to a ipv6 site.

What could be the cause for the sysctl.conf line not to be properly
executed? This is simply the default line which I have enabled.

Groetjes

Bonno Bloksma

Archive: 8F9A687C19AA475AB765BF36A9C38D34@Senna">http://lists.debian.org/8F9A687C19AA475AB765BF36A9C38D34@Senna

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-11-24 21:31 +0100, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> I cannot get radvd to work out of the box because ipv6 forward is disabled
> -----<quote>---------------
> linbobo:/var/log# /etc/init.d/radvd start
> Starting radvd:
> * IPv6 forwarding seems to be disabled.
> * See /usr/share/doc/radvd/README.Debian
> * radvd will *not* be started.
> linbobo:/var/log#
> -----<quote>---------------
>
> However in sysctl.conf in sysctl.conf I have:
> -----<quote>---------------
> linbobo:~# grep ipv6 /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
> #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
> #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
> linbobo:~#
> -----<quote>---------------
>
> And still...
> -----<quote>---------------
> linbobo:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
> 0
> -----<quote>---------------
>
> Even after several reboot with different firewall settings and other
> things it still does not work as it should. Nothing in dmesg or syslog
> about why the ipv6 forward is still off.
> Anyone any idea what I need to look into?
>
> What DOES work is starting it manualy:
> -----<quote>---------------
> linbobo:/var/log# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
> linbobo:/var/log# /etc/init.d/radvd start
> Starting radvd: radvd.
> -----<quote>---------------
> After that I can do an ipconfig /renew on my Windows PC and get the
> proper ipv6 address and I can do a proper ipv6 ping to a ipv6 site.
>
> What could be the cause for the sysctl.conf line not to be properly
> executed? This is simply the default line which I have enabled.

The problem is that the ipv6 module is loaded too late, namely only
_after_ the procps init script tries to set the ipv6 parameters. See
http://bugs.debian.org/507788 for the gory details.

The workaround for that is to load the ipv6 module before the procps
init script runs, e.g. by adding it to /etc/modules:

# echo ipv6 >> /etc/modules

Note that Squeeze kernels have ipv6 built in, so in Debian 6.0 most
people will not be affected by this problem anymore.

Sven

Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
green

Bonno Bloksma wrote at 2010-11-24 13:31 -0700:
> I cannot get radvd to work out of the box because ipv6 forward is disabled

> However in sysctl.conf in sysctl.conf I have:
> -----<quote>---------------
> linbobo:~# grep ipv6 /etc/sysctl.conf
> net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1
> #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_redirects = 0
> #net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_source_route = 0
> linbobo:~#
> -----<quote>---------------
>
> And still...
> linbobo:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
> 0

On a squeeze ipv6 router, I have in sysctl.conf:
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
net.ipv6.conf.default.forwarding=1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1

Perhaps you need to adjust the default also?