Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Sthu Deus

Default Distorted picture in openarena.

Good day.

I have 3D support w/ my ATI card using free driver radeon, but can not
play 3D game - I tried w/ openarena and see completely distorted
picture - cross lines every where. - Is it possible to fix it somehow?
May some additional configuration is required in X-server
configuration? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank You for Your time.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 02:26:26 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I have 3D support w/ my ATI card using free driver radeon, but can not
> play 3D game - I tried w/ openarena and see completely distorted picture
> - cross lines every where. - Is it possible to fix it somehow? May some
> additional configuration is required in X-server configuration? Any
> ideas are greatly appreciated.

If your VGA card is not very powerful, you can first try by lowering the
requirements of openarena itself (textures and rendering details or
screen size -not fullscreen-).

How many FPS do you get with "glxgears"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 06:56 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

24/11/2010 20:26, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I have 3D support w/ my ATI card using free driver radeon, but can not
> play 3D game - I tried w/ openarena and see completely distorted
> picture - cross lines every where. - Is it possible to fix it somehow?
> May some additional configuration is required in X-server
> configuration? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank You for Your time.

Hi,

Graphic card model ? Debian distribution ? Driver version ?

Also did you find any meaningful error message in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?
You can narrow it with

egrep '((WW)|(EE))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Did you try to launch game from a console and see if it spits out any
error message ?

Do other similar games run fine, is it a specific problem with openarena ?

Regarding radeon performances in general, with some cards you'll be able
to play 3D intensive games, with other you won't and be forced to use
proprietary driver to squeeze enough frames out of the hardware, your
mileage may vary.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:12 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> If your VGA card is not very powerful, you can first try by lowering
> the requirements of openarena itself (textures and rendering details
> or screen size -not fullscreen-).
I have tried - does not help.

On the same hardware at earlier installation I could play in the game
perfectly - so the problem is not in hardware, apparently. Also, it
perfectly renders movements - just whole the screen is full of diagonal
lines between which I see the game but changes as soon as the player
moves.

In case of filing a bug report - against what should I do it? -
Openarena or radeon driver?

> How many FPS do you get with "glxgears"?
850 w/ open driver, 1,200 - w/ the ATI's.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer:

> Graphic card model ? Debian distribution ? Driver version ?

ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

in X.log it says:

Chipset ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5975 (PCIE) found

Lenny stable.

xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.9.0-1+lenny4

> Also did you find any meaningful error message
> in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ? You can narrow it with

> egrep '((WW)|(EE))' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I'm posting it whole here - it is not too much:

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
does not exist. (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering for RN50/RC410/RS485/RS600/R600 forced
on -- This is NOT officially supported at the hardware level and may
cause instability or lockups (WW) RADEON(0): LCD DDC Info Table found!
(WW) RADEON(0): LVDS Info: (WW) RADEON(0): DRI init changed memory map,
adjusting ... (WW) RADEON(0): MC_FB_LOCATION was: 0x7fff7800 is:
0x7fff7800 (WW) RADEON(0): MC_AGP_LOCATION was: 0xffffffc0 is:
0x81ff8000 (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32
(WW) Mouse0: No Device specified, looking for one...
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

> Did you try to launch game from a console and see if it spits out any
> error message ?

As far as I can judge - only this:

couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Couldn't read q3history.
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 NO-TCL
Initializing OpenGL extensions
...GL_S3_s3tc not found
compressed textures: disabled

- seems nothing interesting.

> Do other similar games run fine, is it a specific problem with
> openarena ?

I'm currently downloading another one - I'll try and tell You latter.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:12:23 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> If your VGA card is not very powerful, you can first try by lowering
>> the requirements of openarena itself (textures and rendering details or
>> screen size -not fullscreen-).
> I have tried - does not help.
>
> On the same hardware at earlier installation I could play in the game
> perfectly - so the problem is not in hardware, apparently. Also, it
> perfectly renders movements - just whole the screen is full of diagonal
> lines between which I see the game but changes as soon as the player
> moves.

Maybe you can test some of the tips provided in Openarena FAQ:

http://openarena.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

I would first try by renaming (do not remove, just rename to keep the
original file) "q3config.cfg" to start from scratch.

> In case of filing a bug report - against what should I do it? -
> Openarena or radeon driver?

If distorsion/artifacts only happen in Openarena (have you launched
another opengl games or applications to see if the problem is still
reproducible? Have you tried with proprietary ati driver?) then I would
go for Openarena :-)

(side note: radeon is an open driver and so supported in BTS, but you can
encounter DDs don't want to know nothing involving proprietary ati
driver. I mean, if you are planning to fill a bug report, better use
radeon driver).

>> How many FPS do you get with "glxgears"?
> 850 w/ open driver, 1,200 - w/ the ATI's.

Difference is noticeable but not that high :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Maybe you can test some of the tips provided in Openarena FAQ:
>
> http://openarena.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Ok, I'll try.

> I would first try by renaming (do not remove, just rename to keep the
> original file) "q3config.cfg" to start from scratch.

OK. I have tried under a new user - same effect.

> If distorsion/artifacts only happen in Openarena (have you launched
> another opengl games or applications to see if the problem is still
> reproducible? Have you tried with proprietary ati driver?) then I
> would go for Openarena :-)

ATI does not support the card any more, and I want to use free driver
too - so...

This very problem is only in this games. I have tried now torcs - but
it refuses to play any farther after last click right before starting
playing.

Other 3Dd apps I've tried was Marble - runs perfectly - but I believe
it uses far another technology besides 3D-support itself.

> (side note: radeon is an open driver and so supported in BTS, but you
> can encounter DDs don't want to know nothing involving proprietary
> ati driver. I mean, if you are planning to fill a bug report, better
> use radeon driver).

So, I suppose I have to file BR against radeon driver, right?

> >> How many FPS do you get with "glxgears"?
> > 850 w/ open driver, 1,200 - w/ the ATI's.
>
> Difference is noticeable but not that high :-?

Actually, for the ATI's I gave according to my memory - if it is not
so, then 1,500 - is maximum - yes, 2x faster than the open one.