Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Klistvud

Default grub boot control from an usb-keyboard.

Dne, 25. 11. 2010 07:48:54 je Sthu Deus napisal(a):

> I *think* the second one should be just a softlink to the second

I thought the same - but it is not - that's why I asked here.

Well, if you just took the trouble, you would see that update-grub2 is
a shell one-liner which executes update-grub. So OK, it's not a
symlink, but it might as well be. I think that you're safe either way.
When you installed Grub2, it should have automatically uninstalled Grub
Legacy, so there's no fear of having both on your system and
potentially mixing the two.

Run update-grub, and check whether it modified the insmod lines in your
grub.cfg. If it did, as it should, then just reboot and see whether
your keyboard works now.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 24 nov 10, 18:13:03, Klistvud wrote:

> I just skimmed over the link I gave you. I thought it was dealing
> with Grub configuration files, but now I see it's not ...
> Essentially, what you want to do is enter the specified commands
>
> insmod uhci; insmod usb_keyboard; terminal_input usb_keyboard
>
> into your Grub2 configuration files, specifically into
> /etc/grub.d/00_header. In that file, you'll find listed the Grub
> modules that get loaded when Grub starts (around line 47 on my
> system). There, (as root) add the three above commands to the
> existing ones, thus:
>
> insmod gfxterm
> insmod vbe
> insmod uhci
> insmod usb_keyboard
> insmod terminal_input usb_keyboard
>
> Save the file, run update-grub (as root again), and reboot.

Just a side-note. If one just wants to 'insmod' additional modules for
grub2 it is possible to add them in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="uhci usb_keyboard"

(I don't like changing too many files, /etc/default/grub is already
customized on my systems due to GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX)

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Klistvud

Just a side-note. If one just wants to 'insmod' additional modules for
grub2 it is possible to add them in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES="uhci usb_keyboard"

(I don't like changing too many files, /etc/default/grub is already
customized on my systems due to GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX)

Regards,
Andrei

Good point! Is there any chance of /etc/default/grub being overwritten
when the Grub package is updated?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Klistvud:

> Well, if you just took the trouble, you would see that update-grub2
> is a shell one-liner which executes update-grub. So OK, it's not a
> symlink, but it might as well be. I think that you're safe either
> way. When you installed Grub2, it should have automatically
> uninstalled Grub Legacy, so there's no fear of having both on your
> system and potentially mixing the two.

I thought the same - but booting is essential therefore I prefered to
ask first.

> Run update-grub, and check whether it modified the insmod lines in
> your grub.cfg. If it did, as it should, then just reboot and see
> whether your keyboard works now.

And so I did. - But no luck. Probably, I have to wait for D6 - may
there grub2 will be able to use USB-keyboard, if no more ideas.

Thanks for Your answers, once again.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:05 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Dne, 25. 11. 2010 12:06:17 je Andrei Popescu napisal(a):
>
> Good point! Is there any chance of /etc/default/grub being overwritten when
> the Grub package is updated?

You're prompted whether to install the maintainer's version or keep
your own (or compare them...).