Old 11-24-2010, 10:44 AM
mourik jan c heupink

Default monitor IBM serveraid

Hi all,

Is there an easy way on debian to monitor IBM ServeRAID hardware for
failed disks? Specifically: the xSeries 3650, ServeRAID 8k RAID10.

Configuring software raid to send an notification email is easy enough,
but that's not why we bought the nice IBM hardware raid...

Regards,
MJ

Archive: 4CECFA93.8080006@merit.unu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4CECFA93.8080006@merit.unu.edu

Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:44:19 +0100, mourik jan c heupink wrote:

> Is there an easy way on debian to monitor IBM ServeRAID hardware for
> failed disks? Specifically: the xSeries 3650, ServeRAID 8k RAID10.
>
> Configuring software raid to send an notification email is easy enough,
> but that's not why we bought the nice IBM hardware raid...

If this information is true:

http://serverfault.com/questions/58480/serveraid-8-k-linux-kernel-support-preferred-distribution

And your raid controller is using "aacraid" module, I think you are stuck :-
(

http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins

(side note, I'm also using "aacraid" module and no monitoring possible
for my raid1 and raid5 inside OS, just BIOS, at least while using aacraid
module which included in kernel).

I would contact IBM and tell them about your options. They provide
drivers for RedHat and SLES linux distributions, so they can give you
updated and accurate advice on this.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Glyn Astill

> From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 12:13
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:44:19 +0100,
> mourik jan c heupink wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way on debian to monitor IBM
> ServeRAID hardware for
> > failed disks? Specifically: the xSeries 3650,
> ServeRAID 8k RAID10.
> >
> > Configuring software raid to send an notification
> email is easy enough,
> > but that's not why we bought the nice IBM hardware
> raid...
>
> If this information is true:
>
> http://serverfault.com/questions/58480/serveraid-8-k-linux-kernel-support-preferred-distribution
>
> And your raid controller is using "aacraid" module, I think
> you are stuck :-
> (
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins
>
> (side note, I'm also using "aacraid" module and no
> monitoring possible
> for my raid1 and raid5 inside OS, just BIOS, at least while
> using aacraid
> module which included in kernel).
>
> I would contact IBM and tell them about your options. They
> provide
> drivers for RedHat and SLES linux distributions, so they
> can give you
> updated and accurate advice on this.

We use adaptec 5805 controllers in our servers with the debian aacraid kernel module, and adaptec provide a "storage manager" tool as an rpm package (perhaps IBM provide something similar, or perhaps the adaptec tool would be fine for you if it's a rebranded card). I just converted the rpm with alien and installed the storage manager.

With that I can fire up storeman and use the adaptec storace manager remotely, or use the embedded "chkconfig" tool to check the status of my raid arrays.

I use a nagios script to call the "chkconfig" tool for monitoring - this has been working well for the past couple of years.

Glyn

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:55:15 +0000, Glyn Astill wrote:

>> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins
>>
>> (side note, I'm also using "aacraid" module and no monitoring possible
>> for my raid1 and raid5 inside OS, just BIOS, at least while using
>> aacraid
>> module which included in kernel).
>>
>> I would contact IBM and tell them about your options. They provide
>> drivers for RedHat and SLES linux distributions, so they can give you
>> updated and accurate advice on this.
>>

> We use adaptec 5805 controllers in our servers with the debian aacraid
> kernel module, and adaptec provide a "storage manager" tool as an rpm
> package (perhaps IBM provide something similar, or perhaps the adaptec
> tool would be fine for you if it's a rebranded card). I just converted
> the rpm with alien and installed the storage manager.

Last time I installed ASM it required the use of aacraid driver from
Adaptec and so to be compiled on every kernel update.

I finally ditched and got the stock "aacraid" module provided by the
kernel. This was for my 2020SA sata raid controllers.

> With that I can fire up storeman and use the adaptec storace manager
> remotely, or use the embedded "chkconfig" tool to check the status of my
> raid arrays.
>
> I use a nagios script to call the "chkconfig" tool for monitoring - this
> has been working well for the past couple of years.

IIRC, ASM also allowed web monitoring.

But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI based tools
integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the needing of
having to drop the kernel module.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM
mourik jan c heupink

But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI based tools
integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the needing of
having to drop the kernel module.

So, suppose I would be able to buy different brand hardware, would I be
better of with HP, for example? Or dell? Or...?

I would simply be like to monitor my raid sets, and get a notification
when a drive goes down. So easy with software raid... :-)

It's stupid: I always bought IBM because they have supported linux for a
long time, but now we're moving from suse enterprise to debian, and
things suddenly become complicated...

Archive: 4CED128C.7070500@merit.unu.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4CED128C.7070500@merit.unu.edu

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Glyn Astill

> From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 13:19
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:55:15 +0000,
> Glyn Astill wrote:
>
> >> http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins
> >>
> >> (side note, I'm also using "aacraid" module and no
> monitoring possible
> >> for my raid1 and raid5 inside OS, just BIOS, at
> least while using
> >> aacraid
> >> module which included in kernel).
> >>
> >> I would contact IBM and tell them about your
> options. They provide
> >> drivers for RedHat and SLES linux distributions,
> so they can give you
> >> updated and accurate advice on this.
> >>

> > We use adaptec 5805 controllers in our servers with
> the debian aacraid
> > kernel module, and adaptec provide a "storage manager"
> tool as an rpm
> > package (perhaps IBM provide something similar, or
> perhaps the adaptec
> > tool would be fine for you if it's a rebranded
> card).* I just converted
> > the rpm with alien and installed the storage manager.
>
> Last time I installed ASM it required the use of aacraid
> driver from
> Adaptec and so to be compiled on every kernel update.
>
> I finally ditched and got the stock "aacraid" module
> provided by the
> kernel. This was for my 2020SA sata raid controllers.
>
> > With that I can fire up storeman and use the adaptec
> storace manager
> > remotely, or use the embedded "chkconfig" tool to
> check the status of my
> > raid arrays.
> >
> > I use a nagios script to call the "chkconfig" tool for
> monitoring - this
> > has been working well for the past couple of years.
>
> IIRC, ASM also allowed web monitoring.
>
> But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI
> based tools
> integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the
> needing of
> having to drop the kernel module.

Here we're still using the stock kernel module, I just pulled out the CLI tools and the storman agent and they work fine with it. So no need to drop the kernel module.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Glyn Astill

> From: mourik jan c heupink <heupink@merit.unu.edu>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 13:26
> > But it's a pity these raid
> controllers do not have CLI based tools
> > integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without
> the needing of
> > having to drop the kernel module.
>
> So, suppose I would be able to buy different brand
> hardware, would I be better of with HP, for example? Or
> dell? Or...?
>
> I would simply be like to monitor my raid sets, and get a
> notification when a drive goes down. So easy with software
> raid... :-)
>
> It's stupid: I always bought IBM because they have
> supported linux for a long time, but now we're moving from
> suse enterprise to debian, and things suddenly become
> complicated...

I can't speak for the other manufacturers, but dell have an awful track record when it comes to raid controllers. Steer well clear, or just get a system sans raid controller and by an aftermarket one from a well known manufacturer.

Lets put it this way; personally I won't be trusting raid controllers from any large server vendor that ships with their own bastardised firmware again.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:26:36 +0100, mourik jan c heupink wrote:

>> But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI based tools
>> integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the needing of
>> having to drop the kernel module.
>
> So, suppose I would be able to buy different brand hardware, would I be
> better of with HP, for example? Or dell? Or...?

Dunno. Maybe I'd look into "3ware/lsi" or "areca" (but their cards are a
bit expensive). Now that know how this goes I would contact first to the
manufacturer and ask for its debian support.

Hardware raid seems to solve may issues (easy to manage, better
performance...) but all that glitters is not gold.

> I would simply be like to monitor my raid sets, and get a notification
> when a drive goes down. So easy with software raid... :-)

Yep :-)

> It's stupid: I always bought IBM because they have supported linux for a
> long time, but now we're moving from suse enterprise to debian, and
> things suddenly become complicated...

Hey, I also moved from openSUSE to Debian in the last year, but in
openSUSE was also using plain aacraid module for the raid controller (at
least it was properly detected by the system) but had no option for
managing the arrays :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:01:08 +0000, Glyn Astill wrote:

(...)

>> But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have CLI based tools
>> integrated in the OS for manaing raid status without the needing of
>> having to drop the kernel module.
>>

> Here we're still using the stock kernel module, I just pulled out the
> CLI tools and the storman agent and they work fine with it. So no need
> to drop the kernel module.

Latest ASM version available for my card was (is) "4.30". After I
installed the program and launched the application the card was not
detected (this happened under openSUSE 10.3, so I installed the RPM
package) :-(

Maybe newer products does not require Adaptec's own driver and are just
happy with ASM+stock aacraid module :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Glyn Astill

> From: Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: monitor IBM serveraid
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 15:19
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 14:01:08 +0000,
> Glyn Astill wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> >> But it's a pity these raid controllers do not have
> CLI based tools
> >> integrated in the OS for manaing raid status
> without the needing of
> >> having to drop the kernel module.
> >>

> > Here we're still using the stock kernel module, I just
> pulled out the
> > CLI tools and the storman agent and they work fine
> with it.* So no need
> > to drop the kernel module.
>
> Latest ASM version available for my card was (is) "4.30".
> After I
> installed the program and launched the application the card
> was not
> detected (this happened under openSUSE 10.3, so I installed
> the RPM
> package) :-(
>
> Maybe newer products does not require Adaptec's own driver
> and are just
> happy with ASM+stock aacraid module :-?

Possibly, I'm using v6.0 with adaptec 5805 and 5805x cards.