Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Camaleón

Default Restarting X (was: Monitor vertical refresh rate setting in X.)

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:07:37 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Mi, 24 nov 10, 10:24:30, Simon Hollenbach wrote:
>>
>> > After that, restart the X server (I never remember how does one
>> > restarts X server in Debian, but jumping to tty, falling into "init
>> > 1" and then running "startx" should do the trick)... or reboot O:-)
>> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

Thanks.

I was using that combo in my years with openSUSE. Then, they changed to
"Ctrl+Alt+Backspace+Backspace" (two "backspace") and now in Debian I'm a
bit lost with this.

> Depending on this setting:
>
> ,----[ /etc/default/keyboard ]
> | XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
> `----

So... there must be an "agnostic way" that works in almost any setup/
configuration to tell the user to restart X (besides restarting :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 24 nov 10, 11:11:56, Camaleón wrote:

> So... there must be an "agnostic way" that works in almost any setup/
> configuration to tell the user to restart X (besides restarting :-P).

AFAICT choosing to "exit"[1][2] from the graphical environment
(WM/DE[3]) should work in any configuration

[1] this might be called "logout" in some WM/DE
[2] in configurations with a *dm this will actually trigger a logout
[3] I'm not considering situations where the user starts X with

startx /path/to/graphical_program

since these users will know that closing the application will also close

Andrei