Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Jason Heeris

Default Official Debian admin groups (dialout, audio, etc)

Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin
groups for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for
access to external storage, etc?

(Searching for this only brings up man pages and howtos for actually
administering users and groups in general. I would like a link to the
official list.)

Cheers,
Jason

Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:07:04 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

> Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin groups
> for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for access
> to external storage, etc?

(...)

12.1.12 Operating system users and groups
12.1.12.1 Are all system users necessary?
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch12.en.html#s-faq-os-users

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Johan Grönqvist

> Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin
> groups for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for
> access to external storage, etc?

I interpret the debian policy
(<http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2.2>)
such that the groups you refer to should be defined by the package
base-passwd and have ids in the range 0-99.

The package base-passwd contains a list in the file
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.html naming such users and
groups.

/ johan