-   -   Official Debian admin groups (dialout, audio, etc) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/456872-official-debian-admin-groups-dialout-audio-etc.html)

Jason Heeris 11-24-2010 07:07 AM

Official Debian admin groups (dialout, audio, etc)

Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin
groups for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for
access to external storage, etc?

(Searching for this only brings up man pages and howtos for actually
administering users and groups in general. I would like a link to the
official list.)

Cheers,
Jason

Camaleón 11-24-2010 07:31 AM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:07:04 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

> Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin groups
> for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for access
> to external storage, etc?

(...)

12.1.12 Operating system users and groups
12.1.12.1 Are all system users necessary?
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch12.en.html#s-faq-os-users

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Johan Grönqvist 11-24-2010 07:41 AM

Official Debian admin groups (dialout, audio, etc)

> Is there a definitive list somewhere of the out-of-the-box admin
> groups for Debian? As in, "dialout" for access to serial ports, ?? for
> access to external storage, etc?

I interpret the debian policy
(<http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2.2>)
such that the groups you refer to should be defined by the package
base-passwd and have ids in the range 0-99.

The package base-passwd contains a list in the file
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.html naming such users and
groups.

/ johan