Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Chris Jones

Default apt-get apting uc?

After syncing via an apt-get update and running an apt-get upgrade, I am
seeing some unfamiliar messages when I try to install new packages:

# apt-get install fuse-utils fusedav fuseext2 fusefat fuseiso fuseiso9660 fusesmb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libx264-60 libenca0
libcdio7 libfuse2 libiso9660-5 libneon26-gnutls libumlib0
fuse-utils fusedav fuseext2 fusefat fuseiso fuseiso9660 fusesmb libcdio7 libfuse2 libiso9660-5 libneon26-gnutls libumlib0
0 upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 626kB of archives.
After this operation, 1520kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libfuse2 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1 [125kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fuse-utils 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1 [17.9kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libneon26-gnutls 0.26.4-2+b1 [96.3kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fusedav 0.2-2 [20.7kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fuseext2 0.3-1 [11.5kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fusefat 0.1a-1 [32.4kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fuseiso 20070708-1 [21.3kB]
Get:8 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libcdio7 0.78.2+dfsg1-3 [143kB]
Get:9 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libiso9660-5 0.78.2+dfsg1-3 [112kB]
Get:10 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main libumlib0 0.5-2 [9608B]
Get:11 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fuseiso9660 0.2b-1 [8936B]
Get:12 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main fusesmb 0.8.7-1 [27.7kB]
Fetched 626kB in 1s (606kB/s)
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
→ serious bugs of fusesmb (-> 0.8.7-1) <done>
#536907 - fusesmb: FTBFS: configure: error: Please install nmblookup. (Fixed: fusesmb/0.8.7-1.1)
→ grave bugs of fuse-utils (-> 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1) <pending>
#602333 - /usr/bin/fusermount: fusermount allows unmount any filesystem
→ Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

My sources.list is as follows, unchanged since September 2009:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

Does the above mean that something in the debian respositories has
changed during the eight months when I was unable to use debian and that
I needed to follow suit and make changes to /etc/apt/sources.list?

Since I hit enter and accepted the default ‘Y’ when asked to confirm
whether I wanted to install the packages, have I hosed apt on my system?

Or is it just a case of my apt-get upgrade having upgraded apt and the
newer version being more verbose?

Thanks,

cj

Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 23 nov 10, 23:52:50, Chris Jones wrote:
> After syncing via an apt-get update and running an apt-get upgrade, I am
> seeing some unfamiliar messages when I try to install new packages:

Do you mean these?

> Retrieving bug reports... Done
> Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> → serious bugs of fusesmb (-> 0.8.7-1) <done>
> #536907 - fusesmb: FTBFS: configure: error: Please install nmblookup. (Fixed: fusesmb/0.8.7-1.1)
> → grave bugs of fuse-utils (-> 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1) <pending>
> #602333 - /usr/bin/fusermount: fusermount allows unmount any filesystem
> → Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

[...]

> Does the above mean that something in the debian respositories has
> changed during the eight months when I was unable to use debian and that
> I needed to follow suit and make changes to /etc/apt/sources.list?
>
> Since I hit enter and accepted the default ‘Y’ when asked to confirm
> whether I wanted to install the packages, have I hosed apt on my system?
>
> Or is it just a case of my apt-get upgrade having upgraded apt and the
> newer version being more verbose?

Seems like you installed apt-listbugs

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Chris Jones

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:50:08AM EST, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 23 nov 10, 23:52:50, Chris Jones wrote:
> > After syncing via an apt-get update and running an apt-get upgrade, I am
> > seeing some unfamiliar messages¹ when I try to install new packages:
>
> Do you mean these?

Yes, forgot to add an explanatory footnote.

> > Retrieving bug reports... Done
> > Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
> > → serious bugs of fusesmb (-> 0.8.7-1) <done>
> > #536907 - fusesmb: FTBFS: configure: error: Please install nmblookup. (Fixed: fusesmb/0.8.7-1.1)
> > → grave bugs of fuse-utils (-> 2.7.4-1.1+lenny1) <pending>
> > #602333 - /usr/bin/fusermount: fusermount allows unmount any filesystem
> > → Are you sure you want to install/upgrade the above packages? [Y/n/?/...]

> [...]
>
> > Does the above mean that something in the debian respositories has
> > changed during the eight months when I was unable to use debian and that
> > I needed to follow suit and make changes to /etc/apt/sources.list?
> >
> > Since I hit enter and accepted the default ‘Y’ when asked to confirm
> > whether I wanted to install the packages, have I hosed apt on my system?
> >
> > Or is it just a case of my apt-get upgrade having upgraded apt and the
> > newer version being more verbose?
>
> Seems like you installed apt-listbugs

Good catch!

/var/log/apt/term.log.* tells me that it was installed on 01/18/2010 and
‘history | grep listbugs’ indeed logged the corresponding ‘apt-get
install’ command.

I*cannot remember what I was thinking and the other packages that
I installed at that time do not really provide any clues.

I did an ‘apt-get -s remove apt-listbugs’ and as expected it did not try
to remove anything else -- i.e. so it wasn't pulled in when I installed
another package.

I'll leave it at that and read the listbugs manual now. See how I can
put this mysterious gift from the debian heavens to good use.

Thanks,

cj

¹ as indicated by the ‘→’ right-arrows.