Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Jurij Smakov

Default Switching from ipw3945 to iwl3945 driver]

Hi,

If you do not own any hardware with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
cards, you can stop reading now.

The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
possible. The switching instructions are available at

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/ KeyID: C99E03CC

Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:13:56PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you do not own any hardware with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
> cards, you can stop reading now.
>
> The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> possible. The switching instructions are available at
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).

I just went through this nightmare yesterday. There are a couple of
critical things that people need to know. These are things that I
encountered that took a while to figure out because they aren't
obvious. Note that I use a customized combination of scripts to
configure my wireless for different locations. I don't use any of the
whizz-bang gui methods...

1) you cannot iwlist <interface> scan unless you bring the interface
up first. You can bring the interface up without any parameters, do a
scan, search the results and then process accordingly.

2) some of the iwconfig settings (particularly "mode" and maybe
others) require the interface to be *down* before you can set them. So
in my case where I scan for available access points and then set mode
and ssid etc accordingly I have to up the interface, scan, down the
interface, set some stuff, up the interface again to set more stuff
and then pass it back to ifup to let it finish configuring the
interface. It's kind of a pain, but it seems to work.

3) you need to delete previous references to your card from
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file and let it be
recreated.

4) it appears that WEP doesn't work for ad-hoc networks

my .02

Old 02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Александър Л. Димитров

Quoth Andrew Sackville-West:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:13:56PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> > additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> > you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).
>
> 2) some of the iwconfig settings (particularly "mode" and maybe
> others) require the interface to be *down* before you can set them. So
> in my case where I scan for available access points and then set mode
> and ssid etc accordingly I have to up the interface, scan, down the
> interface, set some stuff, up the interface again to set more stuff
> and then pass it back to ifup to let it finish configuring the
> interface. It's kind of a pain, but it seems to work.

Interesting. Maybe this is part of the issue that stands between me and
wpa_supplicant being able to connect to WEP - it can't for now and that's
extremely annoying.

> 4) it appears that WEP doesn't work for ad-hoc networks

Well, as I've said, not only there, but wpa_supplicant seems to have problems,
too.

Good thing is: WPA at least Works for Me. But there are some caveats I could
throw in as well:

* Once you've brought up wpa_supplicant on your wireless interface, the driver
does not know how to go back. If you kill wpa_supplicant (like when you
suspend and go somewhere else and want to connect to another WEP AP) -
congratulations, your driver is now officially hosed. You will have to:

rmmod iwl3945 mac80211 cfg80211 arc4 ecb firmware_class && modprobe iwl3945

After this step succeeds, everything seems to be fine again, HOWEVER:

* Sometimes this will go wrong. Terribly wrong. Modprobe and pdflush go hand in
hand right into the abyss, coming back as CPU-eating undead and
unkillable zomies. Yay. Only thing that really helps is hard reset, as working
on a 100%-devoured CPU is no fun and my kill-9-voodoo doesn't work on neither
of the offenders.

As an aside, I'm not using the Debian stock kernel, but a recently compiled
vanilla. So I hope it's not me who's causing the trouble here, though I doubt
it.

Aleks

Old 02-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 02 Feb 2008, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you do not own any hardware with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wifi
> cards, you can stop reading now.
>
> The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> possible. The switching instructions are available at
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).

I really wish this "improvement" would not be forced on anyone who wants
to use the 2.6.24 kernel. In spite of numerous attempts over the last
few months I've never managed to get the new system to work. For 2.6.23
I managed to compile my own ipw3945-modules but I can't do that for
2.6.24. So I'm stuck with the older kernels for the foreseeable future.
Why can't we have the option to use the older system if we want to?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:03:03 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 02 Feb 2008, Jurij Smakov wrote:

[...]

> > The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> > shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> > good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> > daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> > is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> > and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> > testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> > is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> > possible. The switching instructions are available at
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

[...]

> I really wish this "improvement" would not be forced on anyone who wants
> to use the 2.6.24 kernel. In spite of numerous attempts over the last
> few months I've never managed to get the new system to work. For 2.6.23
> I managed to compile my own ipw3945-modules but I can't do that for
> 2.6.24. So I'm stuck with the older kernels for the foreseeable future.
> Why can't we have the option to use the older system if we want to?

The ipw3945 driver requires closed-source components and has been
deprecated by Intel, the only party that has access to the full source
code and hardware specifications. The kernel developers, on the other
hand, generally don't care very much about breaking proprietary drivers
with newer versions of the kernel, especially if there is an alternative
available in the normal kernel tree.

Florian |

Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:56:43AM +0100, Александър Л. Димитров wrote:

> * Once you've brought up wpa_supplicant on your wireless interface, the driver
> does not know how to go back. If you kill wpa_supplicant (like when you
> suspend and go somewhere else and want to connect to another WEP AP) -
> congratulations, your driver is now officially hosed. You will have to:
>
> rmmod iwl3945 mac80211 cfg80211 arc4 ecb firmware_class && modprobe iwl3945
>
> After this step succeeds, everything seems to be fine again, HOWEVER:
>
> * Sometimes this will go wrong. Terribly wrong. Modprobe and pdflush go hand in
> hand right into the abyss, coming back as CPU-eating undead and
> unkillable zomies. Yay. Only thing that really helps is hard reset, as working
> on a 100%-devoured CPU is no fun and my kill-9-voodoo doesn't work on neither
> of the offenders.

I don't use wpa as my other interface at home doesn't support it
(stupid windows only crap) and otherwise I am on public networks. But
I've seen ilw3945 go terribly wrong. once in my testing modprobe -r
iwl3945 brought on a kernel panic and locked the laptop up hard (truly
locked). ouch.

IOW, welcome to sid...

Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 03 Feb 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:03:03 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 02 Feb 2008, Jurij Smakov wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > The 2.6.24 kernel has recently hit unstable, and it contains a new
> > > shiny iwl3945 driver which should replace the old ipw3945 one. The
> > > good news is that you will no longer need to run the ipw3945d binary
> > > daemon, the bad news is that binary firmware is still required (but it
> > > is available as a package). The plan is to remove ipw3945-modules-*
> > > and ipw3945d packages from the archive as soon as 2.6.24 kernel hits
> > > testing. Because of that, everyone running unstable and using ipw3945
> > > is encouraged to switch to using 2.6.24 and iwl3945 driver as soon as
> > > possible. The switching instructions are available at
> > >
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi
>
> [...]
>
> > I really wish this "improvement" would not be forced on anyone who wants
> > to use the 2.6.24 kernel. In spite of numerous attempts over the last
> > few months I've never managed to get the new system to work. For 2.6.23
> > I managed to compile my own ipw3945-modules but I can't do that for
> > 2.6.24. So I'm stuck with the older kernels for the foreseeable future.
> > Why can't we have the option to use the older system if we want to?
>
> The ipw3945 driver requires closed-source components and has been
> deprecated by Intel, the only party that has access to the full source
> code and hardware specifications. The kernel developers, on the other
> hand, generally don't care very much about breaking proprietary drivers
> with newer versions of the kernel, especially if there is an alternative
> available in the normal kernel tree.
>
> --

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an alternative for me. I had
another go at it last night. I set up things according to the advice on
the above site. Everything looked correct according to "ip a" and
"/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules", but nothing happened: the
indicator light never flickered to show the netwerk card was trying to
connect. This is what has always happened previously when I've tried to
use iwl3945. And I get this message:

wlan0: unknown hardware address type 801.

I googled for this and found some people on Ubuntu getting the same
thing but no obvious clue to what is wrong.

Anthony

Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Peter Jordan

Anthony Campbell, 02/04/08 10:34:

> On 03 Feb 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:03:03 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The ipw3945 driver requires closed-source components and has been
>> deprecated by Intel, the only party that has access to the full source
>> code and hardware specifications. The kernel developers, on the other
>> hand, generally don't care very much about breaking proprietary drivers
>> with newer versions of the kernel, especially if there is an alternative
>> available in the normal kernel tree.
>>
>> --
>
> Unfortunately there does not seem to be an alternative for me. I had
> another go at it last night. I set up things according to the advice on
> the above site. Everything looked correct according to "ip a" and
> "/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules", but nothing happened: the
> indicator light never flickered to show the netwerk card was trying to
> connect. This is what has always happened previously when I've tried to
> use iwl3945. And I get this message:
>
> wlan0: unknown hardware address type 801.
>
> I googled for this and found some people on Ubuntu getting the same
> thing but no obvious clue to what is wrong.
>
> Anthony

The led function will be implemented later.
Make sure, dhcp3-client is installed. That solved all my problems with
iwl3945.

PJ

Old 02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 04 Feb 2008, Peter Jordan wrote:
> Anthony Campbell, 02/04/08 10:34:
>
> > On 03 Feb 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 09:03:03 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> The ipw3945 driver requires closed-source components and has been
> >> deprecated by Intel, the only party that has access to the full source
> >> code and hardware specifications. The kernel developers, on the other
> >> hand, generally don't care very much about breaking proprietary drivers
> >> with newer versions of the kernel, especially if there is an alternative
> >> available in the normal kernel tree.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Unfortunately there does not seem to be an alternative for me. I had
> > another go at it last night. I set up things according to the advice on
> > the above site. Everything looked correct according to "ip a" and
> > "/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules", but nothing happened: the
> > indicator light never flickered to show the netwerk card was trying to
> > connect. This is what has always happened previously when I've tried to
> > use iwl3945. And I get this message:
> >
> > wlan0: unknown hardware address type 801.
> >
> > I googled for this and found some people on Ubuntu getting the same
> > thing but no obvious clue to what is wrong.
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> The led function will be implemented later.
> Make sure, dhcp3-client is installed. That solved all my problems with
> iwl3945.
>
> PJ

I already have dhcp3-client. I tried again, and no longer get the
"unknown hardware address type 801" error, which is progress of a sort,
I suppose. According to iwconfig and syslog the card has been detected
and appears to be working but it is not connecting. And I have "wlan0:
no wireless extensions."

Googling produces plenty of people with fairly similar problems but no
obvious solutions.

Anthony

Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:37:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 04 Feb 2008, Peter Jordan wrote:
> > Anthony Campbell, 02/04/08 10:34:

> > > Unfortunately there does not seem to be an alternative for me. I had
> > > another go at it last night. I set up things according to the advice on
> > > the above site. Everything looked correct according to "ip a" and
> > > "/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules", but nothing happened: the
> > > indicator light never flickered to show the netwerk card was trying to
> > > connect. This is what has always happened previously when I've tried to
> > > use iwl3945. And I get this message:
> > >
> > > wlan0: unknown hardware address type 801.
> > >
> > > I googled for this and found some people on Ubuntu getting the same
> > > thing but no obvious clue to what is wrong.
> > >
> > > Anthony
> > >

> > The led function will be implemented later.
> > Make sure, dhcp3-client is installed. That solved all my problems with
> > iwl3945.
> >
> > PJ
>
> I already have dhcp3-client. I tried again, and no longer get the
> "unknown hardware address type 801" error, which is progress of a
sort,

I get those errors on my laptop, but they seem unrelated to actual
function of the card. It seems to work despite them

> I suppose. According to iwconfig and syslog the card has been detected
> and appears to be working but it is not connecting. And I have "wlan0:
> no wireless extensions."

I think that means that the card is not "on". Look in
/sys/class/mumblemumblemumble/iwl3945/device/rf_kill. It should be 0
for the card to be on, 1 for the card to be off, by way of the radio
control button/switch on your machine.