Old 11-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Default have to switch windows back and forth after firefox, gimp, etc. exit

Help, whenever I close firefox, gimp, etc. (emacs is OK though.) I have
to switch windows back and forth before I can continue typing into the
window I am left starting at. Else my keystrokes are ignored. I use
Debian sid/experimental. pstree says:

|-nodm---xinit-+-Xorg
and I use http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources

Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Thomas Dickey

Help, whenever I close firefox, gimp, etc. (emacs is OK though.) I have
to switch windows back and forth before I can continue typing into the
window I am left starting at. Else my keystrokes are ignored. I use
Debian sid/experimental. pstree says:

|-nodm---xinit-+-Xorg
| `-nodm---ck-launch-sessi-+-sh---icewm-session-+-icewm---xterm---bash-+-emacs---aspell
| | |
| |-firefox-bin---17*[{firefox-bin}]
and I use http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources

yes... (I noticed this a while back, and it's on my to-do list - appears
to be due to an xorg change, since it doesn't happen on my older systems).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Archive: 20101123103522.U4225@mail101.his.com">http://lists.debian.org/20101123103522.U4225@mail101.his.com

Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Liam O'Toole

["Followup-To:" header set to gmane.linux.debian.user.]
On 2010-11-23, Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
>> Help, whenever I close firefox, gimp, etc. (emacs is OK though.) I have
>> to switch windows back and forth before I can continue typing into the
>> window I am left starting at. Else my keystrokes are ignored. I use
>> Debian sid/experimental. pstree says:
>>
>> |-nodm---xinit-+-Xorg
>> | `-nodm---ck-launch-sessi-+-sh---icewm-session-+-icewm---xterm---bash-+-emacs---aspell
>> | | |
>> | |-firefox-bin---17*[{firefox-bin}]
>> and I use http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources
>
> yes... (I noticed this a while back, and it's on my to-do list - appears
> to be due to an xorg change, since it doesn't happen on my older systems).

I don't use sid, but I would imagine that the behaviour described by the
OP is a function of the window manager. Different window managers have
different properties with regard to restoring window focus, and different
degrees of configurability in that regard.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 11-24-2010, 02:30 AM

forcemerge 577459 305074
thanks

T> yes... (I noticed this a while back, and it's on my to-do list - appears
T> to be due to an xorg change, since it doesn't happen on my older systems).

Well it isn't only an xterm problem, as e.g., I land back in emacs and
can't type into it either. If you know the correct package to assign
these to, do. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Thomas Dickey

Help, whenever I close firefox, gimp, etc. (emacs is OK though.) I have
to switch windows back and forth before I can continue typing into the
window I am left starting at. Else my keystrokes are ignored. I use
Debian sid/experimental. pstree says:

|-nodm---xinit-+-Xorg

`-nodm---ck-launch-sessi-+-sh---icewm-session-+-icewm---xterm---bash-+-emacs---aspell

| | |
| |-firefox-bin---17*[{firefox-bin}]
and I use http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.Xresources

yes... (I noticed this a while back, and it's on my to-do list - appears
to be due to an xorg change, since it doesn't happen on my older systems).

...or application change - for example

http://www.archivum.info/opera.linux/2008-10/00096/Opera-stealing-focus-(attn-Eirik-Byrkjeflot-Anonsen).html

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Archive: 20101125081421.T16161@mail101.his.com">http://lists.debian.org/20101125081421.T16161@mail101.his.com

Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Miles Bader

Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com> writes:
>> yes... (I noticed this a while back, and it's on my to-do list - appears
>> to be due to an xorg change, since it doesn't happen on my older systems).
>
> ...or application change - for example
>
> http://www.archivum.info/opera.linux/2008-10/00096/Opera-stealing-focus-(attn-Eirik-Byrkjeflot-Anonsen).html

Hmm, I've noticed this too, even when I'm only running
terminals... (gnome-terminal)

It seems fairly constistent, regardless of the apps involved though.

I do use metacity as a WM, which maybe is relevant.

Some additional data points:

(1) I've noticed that when a webpage in FF (or whatever) auto-refreshes
(e.g., to update the data based on a periodic timeout), while I'm
typing in another window xterm/emacs/..., then the window I'm
typing at will _lose the keyboard focus_!

(2) Typically I'll get this behavior when switching apps via Alt-TAB:
If just hit Alt-TAB quickly and then try to start typing, the old
window will lose the input focus, but the new window will _not_ get
the input focus (even though the new window visually seems to be
"selected"). To switch windows succesfully, I need to hit Alt-TAB,
and then _hold it down for a slight time_ before releasing. If I
do that, the newly selected window consistently gets the input focus.

This is really annoying, though I've not the faintest idea where to send
a bug report. My gut feeling is that it may be an xorg change though
(didn't the input system get rewritten recently... (what about the move
from mouse/keyboard drivers to evdev...?)

Thanks,

-Miles

--
White, adj. and n. Black.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 AM

Furthermore, it only affects the keyboard. Working with just the mouse
you would never discover the problem. But once you try to type
something, you realize the window isn't listening yet, and you have to
ALT-TAB away and back to be able to type anything. Quite an
embarrassment here on the mighty Debian system. And now we know that it
is not just specific to one window manager.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Miles Bader

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:
> Furthermore, it only affects the keyboard. Working with just the mouse
> you would never discover the problem. But once you try to type
> something, you realize the window isn't listening yet, and you have to
> ALT-TAB away and back to be able to type anything. Quite an
> embarrassment here on the mighty Debian system. And now we know that it
> is not just specific to one window manager.

Hmm, is there any indication that other distros _don't_ have this problem?

-Miles

--
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy.