Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
w f

Default Debian (2.6.35) on Mac Mini (late-2010)

Previously, with a modicum of difficulty (but eventual success), I installed Debian on a PPC-based Mac Mini. That machine has been long dead and I'm looking to get Deb off my cranky PC tower and onto my new, slim and sexy late-2010 Mac Mini. The i386 installer from the Debian web site fails on this newer hardware; I discovered the Debian wiki page - http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel - and I've been following that.

So ... I downloaded the installed from that wiki site, successfully (I believe) installed the OS (confirmed latest firmware, reformatted MBR, chose the "-mac-mini" kernel, installed GRUB on MBR) but on reboot, I'm faced with the blinking folder icon. The wiki page states that it's normal to get
the blinking folder icon for a few (15) seconds, then GRUB should seize control and all would be right. Well - I've been staring at a blinking folder icon for the past half hour; GRUB ain't gonna do nuthin' at this point.

Anyone have a clue what I might try next?
Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello List,

late macmini works only with kernel 2.6.35 and older:
with previous version of the kernel, there are issues with the hard drive.

What is the kernel version of `the "-mac-mini" kernel' ?

Jerome

Archive: 4CEBCB8E.5050508@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CEBCB8E.5050508@rezozer.net

Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Jerome BENOIT

late macmini works only with kernel 2.6.35 and older:

older -> later

my mistake

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit-at+rezozer*dot_net

Archive: 4CEBDC05.2000700@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CEBDC05.2000700@rezozer.net

Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Archive: 4CEBDC42.4040602@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CEBDC42.4040602@rezozer.net

Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:35:27 -0800, w f wrote:

(...)

> So ... I downloaded the installed from that wiki site, successfully (I
> believe) installed the OS (confirmed latest firmware, reformatted MBR,
> chose the "-mac-mini" kernel, installed GRUB on MBR) but on reboot, I'm
> faced with the blinking folder icon. The wiki page states that it's
> normal to get the blinking folder icon for a few (15) seconds, then GRUB
> should seize control and all would be right. Well - I've been staring at
> a blinking folder icon for the past half hour; GRUB ain't gonna do
> nuthin' at this point.
>
> Anyone have a clue what I might try next? Thanks!

Know nothing about Mac-Intel devices but it could be that GRUB was not
properly installed and the system cannot boot.

Have you tried with SuperGrubDisk? Maybe you can boot your system from
there and once you're in, you can check the status of the GRUB
installation :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
w f

I used kernel image "linux-image-2.6.35-stlee-mac-mini-i686" that I got from the installer at http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel* As I said, everything (included GRUB) seemed to install successfully. After speaking with a colleague about this, he suggested I try using rEFIt (in lieu of GRUB). Luckily, rEFIt provides a quick "test boot" image. I burnt that and booted from the disc. Lo and behold, rEFIt saw my Linux partition(s) and offered to use that as the boot point. I gave it a whirl and got a message saying that "... no bootable disk can be found ..." During installation of Debian, my HW (500.1 GB ATA Toshiba MK5055GS) was detected w/o issue. Before trying
rEFIt, I used the installer disc in "recovery mode." I successfully mounted / and browsed around a bit. So ... I'm terribly confused. (LOL)

I looked into SuperGrubDisk as Camaleón suggested. Unfortunately, all their docs are too Windows centric. They did offer a link for the question, "I have installed my Linux but it does not boot" -- unfortunately, nearly the entire page is filled with "TO DO" stubs. But I'm moving forward with testing it out - flying a bit blind, tho.

I just gotta get Deb on this Mini!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
w f

Well - SuperGrubDisk was a bit disappointing. The boot process is stuck at "Loading stage2 ....."

Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:18:06 -0800, w f wrote:

>> I used kernel image "linux-image-2.6.35-stlee-mac-mini-i686" that I got
>> from the installer at http://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel As I said,
>> everything (included GRUB) seemed to install successfully. After
>> speaking with a colleague about this, he suggested I try using rEFIt
>>(in lieu of GRUB). Luckily, rEFIt provides a quick "test boot" image. I
>> burnt that and booted from the disc. Lo and behold, rEFIt saw my Linux
>> partition(s) and offered to use that as the boot point. I gave it a
>> whirl and got a message saying that "... no bootable disk can be found
>> ..." During installation of Debian, my HW (500.1 GB ATA Toshiba
>> MK5055GS) was detected w/o issue. Before trying rEFIt, I used the
>> installer disc in "recovery mode." I successfully mounted / and browsed
>> around a bit. So ... I'm terribly confused. (LOL)
>>
>> I looked into SuperGrubDisk as Camaleón suggested. Unfortunately, all
>> their docs are too Windows centric. They did offer a link for the
>> question, "I have installed my Linux but it does not boot" --
>> unfortunately, nearly the entire page is filled with "TO DO" stubs. But
>> I'm moving forward with testing it out - flying a bit blind, tho.
>>
>> I just gotta get Deb on this Mini!

SGD is hard to understand but it has on-screen help. Also, there some
quick guides:

***
I want to boot my Linux without modifying my MBR / Classical solution
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Howto_Boot_Linux_only
***

Just be sure you have downloaded the right SDG image (if you installed
GRUB2 you have to load SDG for GRUB2).

> Well - SuperGrubDisk was a bit disappointing. The boot process is stuck
> at "Loading stage2 ....."

If SDG cannot boot it, then I'm out of ideas.

If it were a standard machine I could tell you "hey, just reinstall GRUB2
and you're done" but when it comes to Apple... things turn out to be a
bit more complicated.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Andreas Weber

On 2010-11-24 22:18, w f wrote:
> and got a message saying that "... no bootable disk can be found
> ..." During installation of Debian, my HW (500.1 GB ATA Toshiba
> MK5055GS) was detected w/o issue. Before trying rEFIt, I used the
> installer disc in "recovery mode." I successfully mounted / and browsed
> around a bit. So ... I'm terribly confused. (LOL)

Just curiosity: What happens if you

- boot into MacOS once
- reboot
- use the rEFIt partitioning tool to sync the MBR
- reboot and try your Debian

? Your Debian should start ok afterwards from rEFIt

Without having a clue why, this is what actually works for me when it
happens once in a while. It seems that booting into MacOS fixes/syncs
something in the EFI environment that works ok afterwards.

Has anybody more insights on this?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
w f

Thanks, Andreas!
I gave it a try and it worked ... sort of.

I don't have Mac OSX installed on the box but I did boot first into the Mac OSX installer DVD.
Then I rebooted into a bootable rEFIt disc.
I used its tools and sync'd the MBR.
I then rebooted and - BAM! - GRUB menu!
I chose my image (the non-rescue one) and things started out OK.
I saw a few lines of booting text then ... nothing.
I rebooted and tried again; same results.

I waited 10 minutes and successfully SSH'd in from a different machine.
So ... it's up and running. Now I suspect it's video hardware issues.
After checking /etc/intttab, the default runlevel is 2.
I removed the S04gdm3 symlink from /etc/rc2.d then rebooted; gdm is no longer running but the console display is still
black.

I have no interest in running a GUI on the machine; it'll be nothing but a headless server.
I'm sooooo close.