Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default Debian (2.6.35) on Mac Mini (late-2010)

On Lu, 29 nov 10, 08:05:41, w f wrote:

> I waited 10 minutes and successfully SSH'd in from a different machine.
> So ... it's up and running. Now I suspect it's video hardware issues.
> After checking /etc/intttab, the default runlevel is 2.
> I removed the S04gdm3 symlink from /etc/rc2.d then rebooted; gdm is no longer
> running but the console display is still black.
>
> I have no interest in running a GUI on the machine; it'll be nothing but a
> headless server.
> I'm sooooo close.

Try disabling KMS. As far as I can tell from a quick web search you have
to pass <driver>.modeset=0 to the kernel, I'm sure others will correct
me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM
w f

Again - thanks, Andrei!

I did the following ...
- restored S04gdm3 to /etc/rc2.d
- added "reboot=p nouveau.modeset=0" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub
- ran "sudo update-grub"
- rebooted

I didn't disable KMS.

So far, it's working like a charm! (GUI logon screen and all.)