Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Chromium addons (was Frustration made me do it.)

On 11/18/2010 11:37 PM, Dan Serban wrote:
[snip]

I now have chromium and claws at my beck and call. Man.. are they
ever fast.

So, how effective are ABP and Flashblock? I read once that the
Chrome ABP doesn't actually *block* ads from loading but simply
prevents them from being displayed.

Also, anyone with experience with these plugins (which *I* consider
essential, though some may find heresy)?

acroread
Java
MozPlugger
OOo
Flash 10.0r45
Silverlight 3.0.4xxxxx
VLC

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CEBA1F1.1030504@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CEBA1F1.1030504@cox.net

Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Jason Heeris

On 23 November 2010 19:13, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> So, how effective are ABP and Flashblock? *I read once that the Chrome ABP
> doesn't actually *block* ads from loading but simply prevents them from
> being displayed.

That was the case some time ago, but according to the plugin site[1]

New in version 2.0: Ads are actually blocked from downloading
now, instead of just being removed after the fact!

I've also tried AdThwart, but went back to AdBlock (I can't actually
remember why), and it works for me on slow connections.

HTH,
— Jason

PS. The downside to ABP working properly now is that we'll no longer
see those ridiculous conspiracy theories and resulting flamewars about
why Google was so slow to implement the necessary API...

Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Paul Cartwright

anyone with experience with these plugins (which *I* consider essential, though
some may find heresy)?

* acroread

* Java

* MozPlugger

* OOo

* Flash 10.0r45

* Silverlight 3.0.4xxxxx

* VLC

are you talking about Firefox or Chromium? in my Chromium ( which I
now use in Thunderbird as the default web browser when I click on a
link) I have these extensions:

AdBlock*-*Version:*2.2.12

Forecastfox
Weather*-*Version:*1.5.12

Hulu - TV
Shows*-*Version:*1.5.3 ( ok, never
used it, forgot I even installed it)

Hyperwords*-*Version:*2.9.0

Novell Moonlight*-*Version:*2.3

Ultimate
Google Docs Viewer*-*Version:*0.8.4.7

youtube works ( who is Justin Bieber, and why should I
care

*

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 05:13:53 -0600

> On 11/18/2010 11:37 PM, Dan Serban wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > I now have chromium and claws at my beck and call. Man.. are they
> > ever fast.
> >

> So, how effective are ABP and Flashblock? I read once that the
> Chrome ABP doesn't actually *block* ads from loading but simply
> prevents them from being displayed.

Nowadays the addblocker stops downloading, and the flashblock works
perfectly.

> Also, anyone with experience with these plugins (which *I* consider
> essential, though some may find heresy)?
>
> acroread

Should work fine

> Java

works here

> MozPlugger

no idea

> OOo

no idea

> Flash 10.0r45

works fine

> Silverlight 3.0.4xxxxx

works fine

> VLC

should work fine

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:29:31 +0800
Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 November 2010 19:13, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > So, how effective are ABP and Flashblock? *I read once that the Chrome ABP
> > doesn't actually *block* ads from loading but simply prevents them from
> > being displayed.
>
> That was the case some time ago, but according to the plugin site[1]
>
> New in version 2.0: Ads are actually blocked from downloading
> now, instead of just being removed after the fact!
>
> I've also tried AdThwart, but went back to AdBlock (I can't actually
> remember why), and it works for me on slow connections.

I use Privoxy - not as user friendly as the plugins, but it will work
across all your browsers, is much more powerful (IIUC), and has no risk
of increasing browser bloat or instability, or becoming incompatible
with future browser versions.

Celejar

Old 11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Klistvud