-   -   Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/456199-bonded-nics-did-not-come-up-boot.html)

Camaleón 11-22-2010 09:30 PM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:15:57 -0500, vr wrote:

> I have a lenny system. My goal is to have two interfaces, 1 NIC active
> and 1 NIC in standby on a second switch, so this host will have switch &
> port fault tolerance.

(...)

I followed these instructions for setting up bonding (active backup) in
lenny:

http://wiki.debian.org/Bonding

They worked like a charm :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Klistvud 11-22-2010 09:48 PM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

Dne, 22. 11. 2010 23:15:57 je vr napisal(a):

My question is, should I have needed to add bond0 to the auto line or
is there some other proper Debian-way I should adjust elsewhere?

/etc/network/interfaces is *the* right place for doing that; however,
it may not be right for Squeeze, where also /etc/init.d/networking
restart is not the preferred way of restarting your network anymore.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

vr 11-22-2010 10:32 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:30:28 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
> I followed these instructions for setting up bonding (active backup) in
> lenny:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Bonding
>
> They worked like a charm :-)
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks for that URL. I see "auto bond0" in that doc which must be
necessary and answers my original question.
I've reconfigured my host using the wiki page info and rebooted a few
times.

mii-tool is showing:
eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
eth1: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok

but "mii-tool bond0" shows:
bond0 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok

My switchport says the port is currently at 1000... How can I get that
bonded link to return the right speed at the host?

Stan Hoeppner 11-22-2010 11:20 PM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

vr put forth on 11/22/2010 5:32 PM:

> mii-tool is showing:
> eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
> eth1: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
>
> but "mii-tool bond0" shows:
> bond0 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
>
> My switchport says the port is currently at 1000... How can I get that
> bonded link to return the right speed at the host?

Switch *port* or *port[s]*. Your original email said you're linking to
two separate switches, one attached to each NIC.

Which bonding mode are you using (0-6)? If you are using mode 4 this
won't work with two switches. 802.3ad requires both bonded ports be on
the same switch, and the switch must be manually programmed for this.

Configuring mode 4 on your Linux host with each cable going to a
different switch may very likely cause the bogus mii-tool output for the
bonded link.

Give us _all_ of the technical details of how you _want_ this setup and
how you currently have it setup so that we may better help you.

--
Stan

vr 11-22-2010 11:59 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:20:30 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> vr put forth on 11/22/2010 5:32 PM:
>
>> mii-tool is showing:
>> eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
>> eth1: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
>>
>> but "mii-tool bond0" shows:
>> bond0 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
>>
>> My switchport says the port is currently at 1000... How can I get that
>> bonded link to return the right speed at the host?
>
> Switch *port* or *port[s]*. Your original email said you're linking to
> two separate switches, one attached to each NIC.
>
> Which bonding mode are you using (0-6)? If you are using mode 4 this
> won't work with two switches. 802.3ad requires both bonded ports be on
> the same switch, and the switch must be manually programmed for this.
>
> Configuring mode 4 on your Linux host with each cable going to a
> different switch may very likely cause the bogus mii-tool output for the
> bonded link.
>
> Give us _all_ of the technical details of how you _want_ this setup and
> how you currently have it setup so that we may better help you.
>
> --
> Stan

I've configured "bond_mode active-backup" which I understand to be mode
1.

Physically, NIC-1 is cabled to switch-1. NIC-2 is cabled to switch-2.

The goal is for this Linux host to survive a switch, switch-port, or
NIC failure.

Stan Hoeppner 11-23-2010 02:24 AM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

vr put forth on 11/22/2010 6:59 PM:

> I've configured "bond_mode active-backup" which I understand to be mode
> 1.
>
> Physically, NIC-1 is cabled to switch-1. NIC-2 is cabled to switch-2.
>
> The goal is for this Linux host to survive a switch, switch-port, or
> NIC failure.

Have a look at this thread from 2007:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/bond-always-in-10half-duplex-516066/

In short, mii-tool is "flawed". _Or_ maybe you need another tool that's
designed to give you information on bonded virtual devices.

--
Stan

Camaleón 11-23-2010 06:34 AM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:32:35 -0500, vr wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:30:28 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote:
>> I followed these instructions for setting up bonding (active backup) in
>> lenny:
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Bonding
>>
>> They worked like a charm :-)
>
> Thanks for that URL. I see "auto bond0" in that doc which must be
> necessary and answers my original question. I've reconfigured my host
> using the wiki page info and rebooted a few times.
>
> mii-tool is showing:
> eth0: negotiated 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok eth1: negotiated
> 1000baseT-HD flow-control, link ok
>
> but "mii-tool bond0" shows:
> bond0 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
>
> My switchport says the port is currently at 1000... How can I get that
> bonded link to return the right speed at the host?

Mmm... you're right, I also get the same output when running the above
command. So as Stan has already pointed out, that tool can be buggy :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Stan Hoeppner 11-23-2010 07:15 AM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

Camaleón put forth on 11/23/2010 1:34 AM:

> Mmm... you're right, I also get the same output when running the above
> command. So as Stan has already pointed out, that tool can be buggy :-?

It's not a bug. It's feature incomplete. It seems clear that the
author(s) never intended it to be used on virtual NICs.

--
Stan

Camaleón 11-23-2010 07:38 AM

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 02:15:52 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 11/23/2010 1:34 AM:
>
>> Mmm... you're right, I also get the same output when running the above
>> command. So as Stan has already pointed out, that tool can be buggy :-?
>
> It's not a bug. It's feature incomplete. It seems clear that the
> author(s) never intended it to be used on virtual NICs.

Then better than providing wrong information to the user is displaying
nothing or a simple warning ("feature not -yet- implemented").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Stan Hoeppner 11-23-2010 08:28 PM

Bonded NIC's did not come up at boot?

Camaleón put forth on 11/23/2010 2:38 AM:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 02:15:52 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> Camaleón put forth on 11/23/2010 1:34 AM:
>>
>>> Mmm... you're right, I also get the same output when running the above
>>> command. So as Stan has already pointed out, that tool can be buggy :-?
>>
>> It's not a bug. It's feature incomplete. It seems clear that the
>> author(s) never intended it to be used on virtual NICs.
>
> Then better than providing wrong information to the user is displaying
> nothing or a simple warning ("feature not -yet- implemented").

Or, maybe the authors assume people will use the tool as intended:

This utility checks or sets the status of a network interface's
Media Independent Interface (MII) unit. Most fast ether-
net adapters use an MII to autonegotiate link speed and duplex
setting.

Virtual adapters don't have an MII. MII is hardware in silicon.
Virtual adapters don't have silicon.

It should be clear to anyone reading the mii-tool man page, and
possessing some common sense, that the tool will not work properly on a
virtual adapter. If you don't understand this, talk to the authors:

David Hinds - dhinds@pcmcia.sourceforge.org
Donald Becker - becker@scyld.com
Bernd Eckenfels - ecki@debian.org

--