Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Scarletdown

Default Evolution - Old Messages Keep Coming Back

I'm attempting to consolidate all my assorted email accounts to be
accessed via Evolution. I seem to have all working right except this
one particular GMail account (the one that I have subscribed to
debian-user in fact).

The problem I am having is that every time I delete messages and empty
trash, next email check brings everything back that was deleted (over
1000 messages, dating back to around 2008.) And to top it off, new
messages are not coming through.

How can I get deleted messages to stay deleted? I logged in to my GMail
account to see what is there, and all that is there are about 100 or so
messages that have not been downloaded. All old messages there were
deleted permanently, so Evolution obviously is not grabbing them from
there.

What is going on here, and how can I fix this? This seems to be the
only account that is doing this.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:37:40 -0800, Scarletdown wrote:

> I'm attempting to consolidate all my assorted email accounts to be
> accessed via Evolution. I seem to have all working right except this
> one particular GMail account (the one that I have subscribed to
> debian-user in fact).
>
> The problem I am having is that every time I delete messages and empty
> trash, next email check brings everything back that was deleted (over
> 1000 messages, dating back to around 2008.) And to top it off, new
> messages are not coming through.

(...)

¿POP3 or IMAP?

If the former, check your Gmail account settings for POP3. Maybe you have
left selected "keep a copy of received messages" or something like
that :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Scarletdown

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> ¿POP3 or IMAP?
>
> If the former, check your Gmail account settings for POP3. Maybe you have
> left selected "keep a copy of received messages" or something like
> that :-?

I'm using POP, since that is what I am most familiar with. I checked
my settings on my account several times, and I definitely have it set
to delete messages after downloading. I also set IMAP to disabled
just in case that was causing some problems. Also, my "trash" on
GMail is empty, and new messages still are not being downloaded
(having to post this reply via the GM web interface because of this.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Paul Cartwright
<debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> gmail isn't good about REALLY deleting things, and it might be you have
> to check the "empty trash on exit" box for that account in Evolution(
> then you may have to shut down evolution to get it to empty..). You
> should also only have "download NEW messages" selected(if there is an
> option like that). In Gmail you may have the messages filtered to only
> show new messages, but the old ones may still be there... I get gmail
> messages in Thunderbird, and I also used it in Kmail, but never
> evolution, sorry.. Maybe you need to move the gmail messages ( in gmail)
> to another folder OUT of the inbox, to get it to stop..

Empty trash on exit is definitely set for all accounts, and in the web
interface, all messages are set to show (new and read). For now, I
have my GM settings set to dl all messages and delete them off the
server. So when I hit Send and Receive, 111 or so should download
(since that is all that is actually sitting in my account). But those
111 are not coming down and instead another thousand or so old
messages (same ones as before) keep showing up.

I know it is silly, but here are a couple screenies showing my
eVolution inboxes before fetching mail, and after.

Before:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Misc-Stuff/Mail-Before.jpg

After:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/Misc-Stuff/Mail-After.jpg

All of the "newly arrived" messages (which are actually old messages
that refuse to die) filtered into the assorted directories are from
the one GMail account that is having this problem (plus there are a
bunch of unfiltered messages there in Inbox that are also from this
same account.) I am suspecting that we have some sort of corrupted
database here clientside. But where to start looking? I have no
idea.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:38:06 -0800, Scarletdown wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>

>> ¿POP3 or IMAP?
>>
>> If the former, check your Gmail account settings for POP3. Maybe you
>> have left selected "keep a copy of received messages" or something like
>> that :-?
>>

> I'm using POP, since that is what I am most familiar with. I checked my
> settings on my account several times, and I definitely have it set to
> delete messages after downloading.

O.k. Ensure you have also selected "[x] Enable POP for mail that arrives
from now on" so you only get new mails and not all the previously stored
ones.

> I also set IMAP to disabled just in case that was causing some
> problems.

AFAIK, only POP3 or IMAP can be enabled at a time (I mean, you can have
just POP3 enabled or IMAP, but not both).

> Also, my "trash" on GMail is empty, and new messages still are not
> being downloaded (having to post this reply via the GM web interface
> because of this.

Try by sending an e-mail from your Gmail account to yor Gmail account
using Evolution and see what happens.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 22 nov 10, 21:16:21, Camaleón wrote:

> AFAIK, only POP3 or IMAP can be enabled at a time (I mean, you can have
> just POP3 enabled or IMAP, but not both).

Of course you can, or at least that's what the interface shows

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 22 nov 10, 12:38:06, Scarletdown wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > ¿POP3 or IMAP?
> >
> > If the former, check your Gmail account settings for POP3. Maybe you have
> > left selected "keep a copy of received messages" or something like
> > that :-?
> >

> I'm using POP, since that is what I am most familiar with. I checked
> my settings on my account several times, and I definitely have it set
> to delete messages after downloading. I also set IMAP to disabled
> just in case that was causing some problems. Also, my "trash" on
> GMail is empty, and new messages still are not being downloaded
> (having to post this reply via the GM web interface because of this.

POP on Gmail has always been a bit strange, but I never had this issue.
It sounds like Evolution does not know what messages it has already
downloaded.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to use IMAP instead, which has its own
quirks, but its particular behaviour is pretty well documented all over
the net.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:37:45 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Lu, 22 nov 10, 21:16:21, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, only POP3 or IMAP can be enabled at a time (I mean, you can have
>> just POP3 enabled or IMAP, but not both).
>
> Of course you can, or at least that's what the interface shows

Let me check (...)

Oh, yes, you can toggle on both. My fault... It's ages since I've entered
to Gmail's configuration page :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/23/2010 03:41 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> POP on Gmail has always been a bit strange, but I never had this issue.
> It sounds like Evolution does not know what messages it has already
> downloaded.
I use IMAP with gmail & Thunderbird every day, without a problem ( at
least with regards to getting only new emails only & deleting old emails..)

server setting: imap.googlemail.com port 993
SSL/TLS -authentication normal password .
Empty trash on exit is checked.

I just checked my gmail IMAP folders. Inbox only has 1 message, but ALL
MAIL has email back to 2004.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800