Old 12-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Brian

Default Release file expired

On Thu 01 Dec 2011 at 15:19:21 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Instead of the really generic ftp.debian.org use a country specific
> mirror. That should solve your problem and also speed up your
> connection. For example I use ftp.us.debian.org. Here is a list.

I don't know what 'generic' means but, although it is from a couple of
years ago, some advice on using ftp.debian.org is at

http://wiki.debian.org/ftp.debian.org

At present it appears to be located in the Netherlands.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Bob Proulx

Brian wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Instead of the really generic ftp.debian.org use a country specific
> > mirror. That should solve your problem and also speed up your
> > connection. For example I use ftp.us.debian.org. Here is a list.
>
> I don't know what 'generic' means ...

In this context I intended generic to mean plain, bland, nonspecific,
uncharacterized, or maybe undifferentiated. Lacking a great word I
just said generic. It isn't country specific. It could be anywhere
in the world with a name like that. If it can be anywhere then
Murphy's Law says that it will be located in the worst place for you
to use.

> but, although it is from a couple of
> years ago, some advice on using ftp.debian.org is at
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/ftp.debian.org

Good advice!

Bob