Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Camaleón

Default Monitor vertical refresh rate setting in X.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:14:45 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I can not set a desired V-frequency for a Samsung CRT monitor (an old
> one). - As far as I understand from its own menu, it supports resolution
> 800x600@85 Hz, then 1024x768@85 Hz and 1024x768@70 Hz.
>
> I specify in xorg.conf to use:
>
> resolution 1024x768
> VertRefresh 85.0
>
> then X-server uses 800x600@85 Hz mode,
>
> if
>
> resolution 1024x768
> VertRefresh 70.0-85.0
>
> then X-server uses 1024x768@70 Hz mode.
>
> How I can make it using 1024x768@85 Hz mode?

Have you tried with modeline+cvt?

cvt 1024 768 85

Will output the Modeline stanza to add to your "xorg.conf" file (IIRC, it
goes under "Monitor" section).

Also, review your xorg log file to see why Xorg "complains" about your
settings :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 23 nov 10, 00:14:45, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I can not set a desired V-frequency for a Samsung CRT monitor (an old
> one). - As far as I understand from its own menu, it supports
> resolution 800x600@85 Hz, then 1024x768@85 Hz and 1024x768@70 Hz.

How old? Since you mention a menu it should be detected and if it's not
I would suggest to Google for the manual to get the exact specs. When
you have them you can put them in xorg.conf ('man xorg.conf' should
help).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:14:45 -0500 (EST), Sthu Deus wrote:

> I can not set a desired V-frequency for a Samsung CRT monitor (an old
> one). - As far as I understand from its own menu, it supports
> resolution 800x600@85 Hz, then 1024x768@85 Hz and 1024x768@70 Hz.
>
> I specify in xorg.conf to use:
>
> resolution 1024x768
> VertRefresh 85.0
>
> then X-server uses 800x600@85 Hz mode,
>
> if
>
> resolution 1024x768
> VertRefresh 70.0-85.0
>
> then X-server uses 1024x768@70 Hz mode.
>
> How I can make it using 1024x768@85 Hz mode?

Usually, in situations like this, the limiting factor is the maximum
pixel clock rate of the video card. Assuming a non-interlaced video
mode is being used, the general formulae which govern trade-offs are
as follows:

pixel_clock_rate / horizontal_frame_length = horizontal_refresh_rate
horizontal_refresh_rate / vertical_frame_length = vertical_refresh_rate

Note that I used the variables horizontal_frame_length and
vertical_frame_length, not horizontal_resolution and vertical_resolution.
They are not the same. The former include the sync pulses and guard
times, the latter do not. But in general, as horizontal_resolution
increases, so does horizontal_frame_length, and as vertical_resolution
increases, so does vertical_frame_length. Sometimes, a given video
card just doesn't have enough bandwidth (maximum pixel clock rate)
to drive a monitor at its maximum vertical refresh rate at its
maximum resolution. If you will post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
and the resulting /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, I will take a look at it
for you to see if this is the case.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Have you tried with modeline+cvt?
>
> cvt 1024 768 85

> Will output the Modeline stanza to add to your "xorg.conf" file
> (IIRC, it goes under "Monitor" section).

How to use it? Can You bring post here an example? - After reading the
manual it gave me almost no any info - for I do understand a lot of
those circles-related parameters.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:59:32 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> Have you tried with modeline+cvt?
>>
>> cvt 1024 768 85
>
>> Will output the Modeline stanza to add to your "xorg.conf" file (IIRC,
>> it goes under "Monitor" section).
>
> How to use it? Can You bring post here an example? - After reading the
> manual it gave me almost no any info - for I do understand a lot of
> those circles-related parameters.

First, you have to run the above command (I'm using here the output I get
just as sample, yours should be different):

sm01@stt008:~$ cvt 1024 768 85
# 1024x768 84.89 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 68.68 kHz; pclk: 94.50 MHz
Modeline "1024x768_85.00" 94.50 1024 1096 1200 1376 768 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync

Which will tell the Modeline line you have then to add to your Monitor
section of "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (my Monitor stanza is quite simple):

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Modeline "1024x768_85.00" 94.50 1024 1096 1200 1376 768 771 775 809 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

After that, restart the X server (I never remember how does one restarts
X server in Debian, but jumping to tty, falling into "init 1" and then
running "startx" should do the trick)... or reboot O:-)

Additional data:

III.5. Forcing a preferred mode
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Note: be sure your monitor/VGA card is capable to handle that resolution/
frequency combo, if not you can get an "out-of-sync" message.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Simon Hollenbach

> After that, restart the X server (I never remember how does one restarts

> X server in Debian, but jumping to tty, falling into "init 1" and then

> running "startx" should do the trick)... or reboot O:-)

Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 24 nov 10, 10:24:30, Simon Hollenbach wrote:

> > After that, restart the X server (I never remember how does one restarts
> > X server in Debian, but jumping to tty, falling into "init 1" and then
> > running "startx" should do the trick)... or reboot O:-)
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

Depending on this setting:

,----[ /etc/default/keyboard ]
| XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
`----

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You very much for Your time and answer, Stephen:

> Usually, in situations like this, the limiting factor is the maximum
> pixel clock rate of the video card. Assuming a non-interlaced video
> mode is being used, the general formulae which govern trade-offs are
> as follows:

Occasionally, the monitor was changed to a newer one (though w/ the
same equipment) - so th vertical refresh rate problem is also gone.

I'm sorry, I have not finished this problem solving.
Really, big thanks to every one participated.