Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Jonas Meurer

Default Brother laserprinter refuses to print pdfs

Hello,

I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.

I'm running debian/unstable with cups as printing backend.

When printing pdfs, regardless whether I try to print from evince, gimp
or invoke lpr directly (from cupsys-bsd), only an errormessage is
printed to the paper:

ERROR NAME;
typecheck
COMMAND;
image
OPERAND STACK;

As far as i can tell, other documents are printed just fine.

The only way to print pdfs right now is to first convert them to ps. but
unfortunately pdf2ps seems to have problems with some pdfs, therefore I
don't have any chance to print them.

Is there any way to make my printer print pdfs?

The config in /etc/cups/printers.conf is:

<DefaultPrinter Brother_HL-5270DN>
Info Brother HL-5270DN
Location Flur
DeviceURI lpd://192.168.3.11/
State Idle
StateTime 1200927229
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

thanks in advance,
jonas

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:56:47PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
> quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.

apt-cache show cups-pdf

Although the description is a bit vague. I would expect "allows you to
print pdf documents with cups" although it seems in a round about way to
suggest it is possible.

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Jochen Schulz

Chris Bannister:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:56:47PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
>> quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.
>
> apt-cache show cups-pdf

No, this package installs a virtual CUPS printer that generates PDF
files from print jobs. That way you can convert anything to PDF which
you can print.

J.
--
Thy lyrics in pop songs seem to describe my life uncannily accurately.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Jonas Meurer

On 04/02/2008 Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 07:56:47PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've a brother laserprinter (setup as network printer), which works
> > quite well in general, except that it refuses to print most pdfs.
>
> apt-cache show cups-pdf
>
> Although the description is a bit vague. I would expect "allows you to
> print pdf documents with cups" although it seems in a round about way to
> suggest it is possible.

Hey Chris,

as Jochen already pointed out, cups-pdf provides a virtual printer to
the cups system that writes the output to a pdf file - instead of
provinding support for printing pdfs to a printer.

I think the description of the package is quite clear:

CUPS-PDF provides a PDF Writer backend to CUPS. This can be used as a
virtual printer in a paperless network or to perform testing on CUPS.

'a virtual printer in a paperless network' should be clear enough ;-)

unfortunately, it seems like this problem is not too common. at least
nobody else answered yet to my original message.

greetings,
jonas

Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:57:30PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> I think the description of the package is quite clear:
>
> CUPS-PDF provides a PDF Writer backend to CUPS. This can be used as a
> virtual printer in a paperless network or to perform testing on CUPS.
>
> 'a virtual printer in a paperless network' should be clear enough ;-)

I see a difference between:

" ... can be used as a a virtual printer in a paperless ... "

and

" ... can only be used as a a virtual printer in a paperless ... "

It seems like the package description is extolling *additional*
features:

"... CUPS-PDF provides a PDF Writer backend ..."
" ... can be used as a virtual printer in a paperless ..."
" ... or to perform testing ..."

What does "CUPS-PDF provides a PDF Writer backend" imply to you?

--
Chris.
======