Old 02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
David Baron

Default Udev Installation Question

What happens to the original contents of /dev?

1. Still there--the tmpfs simply mounts over them (kind of wasteful since a
statis /dev had zillions of unused nodes).

2. Deleted. Want to go back ... well there is a make-devfs script somewhere to
create all the zillions of nodes that Knoppix uses.

3. Tarred, feathered and stashed somewhere I had read that this does occur.
Where?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Andrew Reid

On Saturday 02 February 2008 14:00, David Baron wrote:
> What happens to the original contents of /dev?
>
> 1. Still there--the tmpfs simply mounts over them (kind of wasteful since a
> statis /dev had zillions of unused nodes).
>
> 2. Deleted. Want to go back ... well there is a make-devfs script somewhere
> to create all the zillions of nodes that Knoppix uses.
>
> 3. Tarred, feathered and stashed somewhere I had read that this does occur.
> Where?

3. Specifically, remounted on /dev/.static/dev.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM
David Baron

On Sunday 03 February 2008, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > What happens to the original contents of /dev?
> >
> > 1. Still there--the tmpfs simply mounts over them (kind of wasteful since
> > a statis /dev had zillions of unused nodes).
> >
> > 2. Deleted. Want to go back ... well there is a make-devfs script
> > somewhere to create all the zillions of nodes that Knoppix uses.
> >
> > 3. Tarred, feathered and stashed somewhere I had read that this does
> > occur. Where?
>
> * 3. Specifically, remounted on /dev/.static/dev.

Yes, this is what I had seen previously.
Can this be moved to some backkup and not take up disk space on line any
longer?