Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Yuwen Dai

Default Does "I/O error" mean hardware problem?

Dear all,

My Debian Lenny constantly reports "disk I/O error on block xxxxxxx" when booting, then it runs e2fschk and reports some files are missing. I'd formated the partition but the problem still occurs.* The hardware is an Dell E6400 which has a Diagnostic tool.* I'd run the tool, but it said there's no error on the hard disk.* The Dell tech support says if the diagnostic tool doesn't report error, that means hard disk is OK.* So I have no proof that it's a hardware problem.* But the Linux filesystem(ext3) keeps corrupt, which is terrible.* Do you have any suggestion?

Best regards,
Yuwen

Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/21/2010 11:44 PM:
> Dear all,
>
> My Debian Lenny constantly reports "disk I/O error on block xxxxxxx" when
> booting, then it runs e2fschk and reports some files are missing. I'd
> formated the partition but the problem still occurs. The hardware is an
> Dell E6400 which has a Diagnostic tool. I'd run the tool, but it said
> there's no error on the hard disk. The Dell tech support says if the
> diagnostic tool doesn't report error, that means hard disk is OK. So I have
> no proof that it's a hardware problem. But the Linux filesystem(ext3) keeps
> corrupt, which is terrible. Do you have any suggestion?

The output from

~# smartctl -a /dev/sdX

would be helpful.

--
Stan

Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:44:32 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:

> My Debian Lenny constantly reports "disk I/O error on block xxxxxxx"
> when booting, then it runs e2fschk and reports some files are missing.
> I'd formated the partition but the problem still occurs. The hardware
> is an Dell E6400 which has a Diagnostic tool. I'd run the tool, but it
> said there's no error on the hard disk. The Dell tech support says if
> the diagnostic tool doesn't report error, that means hard disk is OK.
> So I have no proof that it's a hardware problem. But the Linux
> filesystem(ext3) keeps corrupt, which is terrible. Do you have any
> suggestion?

It can also be a bad cable or even a bad sitting connector, but being a
laptop this could be harder to debug.

P.S. Updating your regular backup copy won't hurt.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Yuwen Dai

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/21/2010 11:44 PM:

> Dear all,

> My Debian Lenny constantly reports "disk I/O error on block xxxxxxx" when

> booting, then it runs e2fschk and reports some files are missing. I'd

> formated the partition but the problem still occurs. *The hardware is an

> Dell E6400 which has a Diagnostic tool. *I'd run the tool, but it said

> there's no error on the hard disk. *The Dell tech support says if the

> diagnostic tool doesn't report error, that means hard disk is OK. *So I have

> no proof that it's a hardware problem. *But the Linux filesystem(ext3) keeps

> corrupt, which is terrible. *Do you have any suggestion?

The output from

~# smartctl -a /dev/sdX

would be helpful.

Hi stan,

The output of smartctl -a /dev/sda is:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:**** TOSHIBA MK2556GSYF
Serial Number:*** 409JT12DT
Firmware Version: LJ001D

User Capacity:*** 250,059,350,016 bytes
Device is:******* Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:** 8
ATA Standard is:* Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:*** Tue Nov 23 09:38:41 2010 CST

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

*Error 472 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1512 hours (63 days + 0 hours)

* When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

* After command completion occurred, registers were:
* ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
* -- -- -- -- -- -- --
* 40 41 02 ea d5 8b 40

* Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
* CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC** Powered_Up_Time* Command/Feature_Name
* -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --* ----------------* --------------------
* 60 08 00 ea d5 8b 40 00***** 00:27:35.521* READ FPDMA QUEUED

* 27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 00***** 00:27:35.518* READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT
* ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00***** 00:27:35.517* IDENTIFY DEVICE
* ef 03 45 00 00 00 a0 00***** 00:27:35.517* SET FEATURES [Set transfer mode]

* 27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 00***** 00:27:35.517* READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT

Error 471 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1512 hours (63 days + 0 hours)
* When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

Is this meaningful?

Best regards,
Yuwen

*
--

Stan

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CEA0D00.90605@hardwarefreak.com

Old 11-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/22/2010 7:46 PM:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

>> The output from
>>
>> ~# smartctl -a /dev/sdX
>>
>> would be helpful.

> The output of smartctl -a /dev/sda is:

<snip>

> Is this meaningful?

Actually I was looking for something like this, which should have been
in your output:

http://www.hardwarefreak.com/smart.txt

--
Stan

Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Yuwen Dai

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/22/2010 7:46 PM:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

>> The output from

>> ~# smartctl -a /dev/sdX

>> would be helpful.

> The output of smartctl -a /dev/sda is:

<snip>

> Is this meaningful?

Actually I was looking for something like this, which should have been

in your output:

http://www.hardwarefreak.com/smart.txt

This is my output:
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 128
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME********* FLAG**** VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE***** UPDATED* WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

* 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate**** 0x000b** 100** 100** 050*** Pre-fail* Always****** -****** 0
* 3 Spin_Up_Time*********** 0x0027** 100** 100** 001*** Pre-fail* Always****** -****** 1282
* 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct** 0x0033** 100** 100** 050*** Pre-fail* Always****** -****** 35

* 9 Power_On_Hours********* 0x0032** 097** 097** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 93005
*12 Power_Cycle_Count****** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 350
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate***** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 595

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 14
193 Load_Cycle_Count******* 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 1466
194 Temperature_Celsius**** 0x0022** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 45 (Lifetime Min/Max 18/46)

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count*** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 6581349
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 15242478
240 Head_Flying_Hours****** 0x0032** 097** 097** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 88491

241 Unknown_Attribute****** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 79453281038
242 Unknown_Attribute****** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 97697694364
254 Unknown_Attribute****** 0x0032** 100** 100** 000*** Old_age** Always****** -****** 0

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Yuwen

*

--

Stan

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CEB3599.8000806@hardwarefreak.com

Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/23/2010 12:56 AM:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:
>
>> Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/22/2010 7:46 PM:

>>> The output of smartctl -a /dev/sda is:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Is this meaningful?
>>
>> Actually I was looking for something like this, which should have been
>> in your output:
>>
>> http://www.hardwarefreak.com/smart.txt

Notice the horrible line wrapping below? It's almost impossible to
read. This is why I stuck my output on my web server. Could you please
do the same, use pastebin, or change your line wrapping in your MUA to
something like 132 or more, or simply disable line wrap? If you must,
attach the output as a text file. Just please get rid of the line wrap.

Thanks.

--
Stan

Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/23/2010 3:10 AM:

> Hi Stan,
> Sorry for the inconvenience. I use gmail, and don't know how to disable
> line wrap. I attached the output as a file.

>From your smartctl output:

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 6587967
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 15265539

I just checked a system here with a 1 year old 500GB WD BLUE SATA II
drive on a Sil3512 based PCI card and both 199 and 200 have a value of
zero. This would seem to indicate you have a problem with the cabling
between your drive and the controller. Considering this is a laptop,
I'd guess it has been dropped at least once, loosening the cable
connector either at the drive or the PCB socket, causing intermittent
contact. If this Dell 6400 has a direct connection between the drive
interface and a PCB mounted SATA socket, I'd guess than once or more
traces on the PCB have been cracked, or a pin within the socket has been
cracked.

CRC errors indicate a transmission problem on the interface conductors.
Whether the problem is either of the two things I mention above, you
definitely have a problem with the interface between the drive and the
SATA controller.

--
Stan

Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Yuwen Dai

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

Yuwen Dai put forth on 11/23/2010 11:59 PM:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

>> CRC errors indicate a transmission problem on the interface conductors.

>> *Whether the problem is either of the two things I mention above, you

>> definitely have a problem with the interface between the drive and the

>> SATA controller.

>> Hi Stan,

> Thank you for your help!

You're welcome. *Hope you can get it fixed without it costing much.

Dear all,

Dell has changed a hard disk for me.* Now both the reallocate sectors* and CRC error number are zero.* I'll continue observe the status of the hard disk.*

Best regards,
Yuwen*

*

--