Old 11-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default waiting for root file system

Hi,

I changed motherboards and now when I boot I get "waiting for root file
system".

But the disks have not changed, they are the same ones as with the old
motherboard. All partitions are labelled.

One disk had a USB connection on the old motherboard and now has a SATA
connection.

Fstab and grub use labels for everything.

Debian's stock kernel boots correctly without problems, just my
homegrown kernel doesn't boot, but it booted with the old motherboard.

So there is *something* in my homegrown kernel that causes that message.

Anybody venture a guess as to what it might be?

This is with Sid updated.

Hugo

Archive: icbfi9$m4p$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/icbfi9$m4p$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:58:00 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I changed motherboards and now when I boot I get "waiting for root file
> system".

(...)

Same motherboard or a different (brand/model) one?

How are the sata BIOS settings now and then (sata/ahci/raid)? Maybe you
need to load a kernel module that was present in the old system (sata)
but now is not available in the new one (ahci)?

Or maybe your GRUB has to be properly updated for looking into the right
"root (hdx,n)" device?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

I changed motherboards and now when I boot I get "waiting for root file
system".

(...)

Same motherboard or a different (brand/model) one?

Different motherboard/cpu/memory old:epox 8VTAI new:asus M4N98TD EVO +
AthlonII AM3 + 4GB

How are the sata BIOS settings now and then (sata/ahci/raid)? Maybe you
need to load a kernel module that was present in the old system (sata)
but now is not available in the new one (ahci)?

Old mobo could not use sata, did not use it + no raid. New mobo uses
sata, still don't use raid. New mobo has 1 sata disk that was USB in old
mobo and sata dvd burner.

Or maybe your GRUB has to be properly updated for looking into the right
"root (hdx,n)" device?

Let me do a grub-install, but it finds the root device and boots it, but
it hangs after initrd with "waiting for root file system"

Hugo

Archive: icbivf$4nf$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/icbivf$4nf$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:55:53 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Or maybe your GRUB has to be properly updated for looking into the
>> right "root (hdx,n)" device?
>>

> Let me do a grub-install, but it finds the root device and boots it, but
> it hangs after initrd with "waiting for root file system"

So, you have changed not only the board but also the disk interface (it
was ide and now is sata)? Does the new kernel has "libata" module loaded?

Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either
upload the full file to an external server or attach the file to the
message). Also, include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to get
a better understanding of your current system structure :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

Or maybe your GRUB has to be properly updated for looking into the
right "root (hdx,n)" device?

Let me do a grub-install, but it finds the root device and boots it, but
it hangs after initrd with "waiting for root file system"

So, you have changed not only the board but also the disk interface (it
was ide and now is sata)? Does the new kernel has "libata" module loaded?

It was a sata disk in an external enclosure connected with USB, now it
is in the same enclosure but conneceted with SATA cable.

Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either
upload the full file to an external server or attach the file to the
message). Also, include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to get
a better understanding of your current system structure :-)

I can't attach files: TB hangs forever then, will register via yahoo!

After 'waiting for root file system' and the 5 minute wait, initrd drops
to a shell and says "/dev/dis/by-label/wd80_0jd-60.06 does not exist"
and sure enough it don't and that us the new sata connection. So there
is a sata module missing fro initrd.

Hugo

Archive: icbnrd$qc9$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/icbnrd$qc9$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either upload
the full file to an external server or attach the file to the message). Also,
include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to get a better
understanding of your current system structure :-)

I use SGD. I attach it's menu.lst
2.6.36-trunk-686-bigmem from E03/04 on SDA6 [SDB6]*gen'd here* runs fine, that's
where I am now.
2.6.36-hvw bigmem from E03/04 on SDA6 [SDB6]*gen'd here* is the one I have prob.
with.
I also attach fdisk -l, the partition I am trying to boot is sda6, with my own
kernel: it boots fine with Debian 2.6.36-trunk-686-bigmem

Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:19:24 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> So, you have changed not only the board but also the disk interface (it
>> was ide and now is sata)? Does the new kernel has "libata" module
>> loaded?
>
> It was a sata disk in an external enclosure connected with USB, now it
> is in the same enclosure but conneceted with SATA cable.

O.k.

>> Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either
>> upload the full file to an external server or attach the file to the
>> message). Also, include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to
>> get a better understanding of your current system structure :-)
>>

> I can't attach files: TB hangs forever then, will register via yahoo!

You mean Thunderbird is facing any problem? :-?

You can still upload the content of the files to "www.pastebin.com"

> After 'waiting for root file system' and the 5 minute wait, initrd drops
> to a shell and says "/dev/dis/by-label/wd80_0jd-60.06 does not exist"
> and sure enough it don't and that us the new sata connection. So there
> is a sata module missing fro initrd.

It should exist, but maybe now Grub detects it in another location
(hd1,0) or (hd0,1) or...

Ah, I forgot to say that you can always "play" with GRUB at booting menu.
You have to reach GRUB console (by pressing "c"?) and try to manually get
further information about the new location of the device, for example:

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz
find /boot/vmlinuz
(hd0,1)

And compare that information with the current "root (hdx,n)" stanza.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

So, you have changed not only the board but also the disk interface (it
was ide and now is sata)? Does the new kernel has "libata" module
loaded?

It was a sata disk in an external enclosure connected with USB, now it
is in the same enclosure but conneceted with SATA cable.

O.k.

Maybe now is a good time for you to put your Grub's menu config (either
upload the full file to an external server or attach the file to the
message). Also, include the output of "fdisk -l" that will help us to
get a better understanding of your current system structure :-)

I can't attach files: TB hangs forever then, will register via yahoo!

You mean Thunderbird is facing any problem? :-?

I dislike TB,ID. At any moment it will not post but is "waiting"

You can still upload the content of the files to "www.pastebin.com"

After 'waiting for root file system' and the 5 minute wait, initrd drops
to a shell and says "/dev/dis/by-label/wd80_0jd-60.06 does not exist"
and sure enough it don't and that us the new sata connection. So there
is a sata module missing fro initrd.

It should exist, but maybe now Grub detects it in another location
(hd1,0) or (hd0,1) or...

Ah, I forgot to say that you can always "play" with GRUB at booting menu.
You have to reach GRUB console (by pressing "c"?) and try to manually get
further information about the new location of the device, for example:

grub> find /boot/vmlinuz
find /boot/vmlinuz
(hd0,1)

And compare that information with the current "root (hdx,n)" stanza.

I found the culprit: something you mentioned: AHCI. After making the an
<M> I can boot the system.

Now find out why my USB devices are not connected.
Pretty good. Thanks.

Hugo