Old 11-21-2010, 09:53 AM
baldyeti

Default lotsa udev warnings after lenny->squeeze upgrade

I've performed a mostly uneventful lenny->squeeze upgrade
On bootup though I see a lot of udev-related messages scrolling
by (see below for exmaples). Can someone comment if these are
harmless and how to get rid of them ?

Nov 20 00:52:41 shoebox udevd[1076]: add_to_rules: unknown key
'SYMLINK{unique}' in /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:1
Nov 20 00:52:41 shoebox udevd[1076]: add_to_rules: unknown key 'TAG' in
/lib/udev/rules.d/70-acl.rules:11
Nov 20 00:52:41 shoebox udevd[15456]: BUS= will be removed in a future
udev version, please use SUBSYSTEM= to match the event device, or
SUBSYSTEMS= to match a parent device, in
/etc/udev/rules.d/025_logitechmouse.rules:1
Nov 20 00:52:41 shoebox udevd[15456]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a
future udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or
ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in
/etc/udev/rules.d/025_logitechmouse.rules:5

Archive: icatno$hlu$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/icatno$hlu$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:53 +0100, baldyeti wrote:
> I've performed a mostly uneventful lenny->squeeze upgrade
> On bootup though I see a lot of udev-related messages scrolling
> by (see below for exmaples). Can someone comment if these are
> harmless and how to get rid of them ?

Before trying to debug what is wrong with each of these rules it might
be a good idea to remove configuration files of no longer installed
packages. These configuration files and, in particular, udev rules are
not updated if the package is no longer installed but still linger
around. The easiest way to get rid of these removed (but not purged!)
packages is to execute:

# aptitude purge ~c

Please review the list of packages that are going to be purged carefully
as you might not want to remove configuration files for all of them.

If that does not help, we can start to have a look at the specific
errors.

Have fun
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
: :' :

Old 11-21-2010, 05:52 PM
baldyeti

Thanks for your reply, Wolodja. I've run your "aptitude"
suggestion and accepted all purges. This seems to have
gotten rid of a few udev complaints, but some remain.
They're related to libjnb (I have an old creative mp3
"jukebox" I plug every once in a while), and xserver-wacom
(I do *not* have a tablet). I've also noticed all these messages
repeat three times (in /var/log/syslog). I guess this corresponds
to the three instances of "udevd" I see running. By the way I
have a similar behaviour on an unstable install on the same system...

thanks for any suggestion,

-bald