-   -   Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/455402-problems-cups-printconf-squeeze-sid.html)

Wayne Topa 11-20-2010 07:26 PM

Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid

Good day all

I can't get cups to do anything but show the entry page at
localhost:631. All of the other tabs display 500 Internal Server Error.

This is on an AMD64 system. Cups was working on a 686 system but the
system recently died so I have lost my print server.

The AMD sys does not have a parallel port so I am trying to get it
working with a USB to Centronics adapter. The adapter is seen by the
system and loads up the hplip module correctly.

I installed the printconf package and, while there are not bugs
reported on the package. I get errors from it.

A google search was only able to come up with the same error (shown
below) but no fix was found. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I
am at a dead end now.

[VT/dev/pts/4 wtopa@dj-SQUEEZE]
~$ sudo printconf -v -p letter
[sudo] password for wtopa:
Getting printer information...
Autoconfiguring printers...
Skipping file:/dev/ttyS0; no autodetection data available.
Skipping file:/dev/ttyS1; no autodetection data available.
Skipping file:/dev/ttyS2; no autodetection data available.
Skipping file:/dev/ttyS3; no autodetection data available.
Printer database data:
{'autodetect': {u'parallel': {u'commandset': u'HP ENHANCED PCL5,PJL',
u'description': u'Hewlett-Packard
LaserJet 6P Printer',

u'manufacturer': u'Hewlett-Packard',
u'model': u'HP LaserJet 6P'}},
'driver': u'hplip',

u'drivers': [u'ljet4',

u'gutenprint-ijs.5.2',

u'lj4dith',

u'gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.2'],

u'functionality': u'A',

u'id': u'HP-LaserJet_6P',

u'make': u'HP',

u'model': u'LaserJet 6P'}

Configuring HP LaserJet 6P on usb:/dev/usb/lp1 with hplip driver as
queue "laserjet_6p_3".

Driver file /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/hplip.xml corrupted,
missing, or not readable!

Could not run "foomatic-combo-xml"/"foomatic-perl-data"! at
/usr/share/perl5/Foomatic/DB.pm line 1078.

* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd

[ OK ]
If printconf was unable to install all of your printers, please visit
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ for printer information and support from
fellow users.

printconf 0.7.9.4
foomatic-db 0100630-1
foomatic-db-engine 4.0.4-3
foomatic-db-gutenprint 5.2.6-1
cups-driver-gutenprint 5.2.6-1
ijsgutenprint 5.2.6-1
libgutenprint2 5.2.6-1

As you can see there is a missing hplip.xml in the foomatic.db
package. Googleing other distros shows that the hplip.xmi is in their
packages but not in the Debian package. No Debian bug reports were
found.

TIA

Wayne

Archive: 4CE82F01.6090305@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CE82F01.6090305@gmail.com

Camaleón 11-21-2010 11:20 AM

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:26:41 -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

> I can't get cups to do anything but show the entry page at
> localhost:631. All of the other tabs display 500 Internal Server Error.

Uh? That is not normal. You should be able to add/manage your printer
from web interface. What do logs say?

Also, have you tried with "lpadmin"? Is the command line utility for
managing printers in Cups.

> This is on an AMD64 system. Cups was working on a 686 system but the
> system recently died so I have lost my print server.
>
> The AMD sys does not have a parallel port so I am trying to get it
> working with a USB to Centronics adapter. The adapter is seen by the
> system and loads up the hplip module correctly.
>
> I installed the printconf package and, while there are not bugs
> reported on the package. I get errors from it.
>
> A google search was only able to come up with the same error (shown
> below) but no fix was found. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I
> am at a dead end now.

(...)

I would try first to get Cups working as it should, getting a 500 error
is not a good signal. If it's necessary purge the package and reinstall
it again. After that, I'd install the printer by using hpijs or hplip PPD
file, avoinding the use of hplip suite.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Paul Cartwright 11-21-2010 11:39 AM

On 11/21/2010 07:20 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> > I can't get cups to do anything but show the entry page at
>> > localhost:631. All of the other tabs display 500 Internal Server Error.
> (...)
>
> I would try first to get Cups working as it should, getting a 500 error
> is not a good signal. If it's necessary purge the package and reinstall
> it again. After that, I'd install the printer by using hpijs or hplip PPD
> file, avoinding the use of hplip suite.

I had to do that last year, cups somehow got messed up & I could not do
admin from the web page. When you take out cups, it also had to take out
a BUNCH of other installed apps, so I copied those app-names to a text
file, so I could remember to reinstall them later, knowing aptitude
install cups would do it:)
and it IS important to note you need to PURGE cups, not just remove it.-
aptitude purge cups

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Wayne Topa 11-21-2010 02:05 PM

Problems with cups/printconf on Squeeze and Sid