Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Barry Samuels

Default Bluetooth and Blueman

I have had a Thinkpad R51 for some years now. This laptop has built-in
Bluetooth which I have never had occasion to use until now. I have
recently aquired an Android 'phone so I thought I'd try out this Bluetooth
thing.

The Thinkpad is running Debian Testing/Squeeze with a 2.6.34 kernel. The
first thing I discovered was that the Bluetooth adapter wasn't being
recognised at all. Compiling in a few extra modules in the kernel solved
that one.

I also had to install the rfkill package and a few other Bluetooth related
packages. The Bluetooth indicator light now lights up when the laptop is
booted and I can turn it on and off using Blueman. So far so good.

I managed to pair the laptop with my 'phone and it shows up in the
Blueman-Manager as a device. This is where things start to go pear shaped.
At the righthand end of the bar which shows my 'phone in Blueman there are
some coloured icons and if I hover my mouse cursor over that it displays a
popup showing signal quality and strength. These icons appear and
disappear regularly about every three seconds. When the icons are visible
the signal strength is shown as about 60% and the link quality 100% but
when the icons disappear the link quality is -1 and the signal strength is
-1. Is that normal?

If I try and send a file to the 'phone using Blueman it gets as far as
displaying 'Contacting' but nothing more happens. If I try and 'Browse'
files on my 'phone Nautilus opens and displays a message 'Could not
display "obex://" Protocol not supported'.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk