Old 02-02-2008, 03:46 PM
oxy

Default cannot connect to my wifi

Hi friends,
i tryed many suggestions on internet, but no success yet to connect to my wifi.
I have the following hardware:
# lspci
08:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

I installed madwifi according go the post

http://www.webservertalk.com/archive291-2007-4-1865856.html

It seems to work. But the connection i cannot manage to get done.
First i tried network-manager. All fields there, just typed it as worked
for previous windows and ... no success.
Many posts in internet report problems of network-manager anyway.
Some ubuntu people said they solved their problems
using gtkwifi, nm-applet, and wicd, but i didnt find
them for debian (??? aren't they the same???).
I also tried iwconfig but got an

Error : unrecognised wireless request "thenet.com"

OBS: the name was correct.

Than i installed wifi-radar. It makes it easy to set
the connection, but there is no way to set the interface
name. So wifi-radar keeps on trying to connect a certain eth2 interface,
that does not exist!

Any tip, please, i ran out of possibilities :-)
Thank u all in advance ...

Old 02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
"Patrick Wiseman"

On Feb 2, 2008 11:46 AM, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Than i installed wifi-radar. It makes it easy to set
> the connection, but there is no way to set the interface
> name. So wifi-radar keeps on trying to connect a certain eth2 interface,
> that does not exist!

In the wifi-radar GUI, select Preferences and turn off Auto-detect
wireless device. I don't know if that will work, because it should be
auto-detecting your device!

Patrick

Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
oxy

> In the wifi-radar GUI, select Preferences and turn off Auto-detect
> wireless device. I don't know if that will work, because it should be
> auto-detecting your device!

Hi Patrick,
sorry, but i do not have this option (Preferences) in my wifi-radar.
Also not an option to turn off Auto-detect. ???
It is a Linux version 2.6.18-6-686 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-17etch1).
I installed wifi-radar today, so must be a new version.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Robin

[...]

This may/may not be of help as I have a different device. You will need to adjust the settings to suit the specs of your device and router.

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
iwconfig wlan0 essid *******
iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK= *************
iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=AES
dhclient

--

rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1

Old 02-03-2008, 12:24 AM
oxy

> ifconfig wlan0 up
> iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
> iwconfig wlan0 essid *******
> iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPA2PSK
> iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK= *************
> iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=AES
> dhclient

hi rob, sorry but it did not help. When i run wifi-radar i get the messages:

Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.
Stale pid file. Removing
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Listening on LPF/ath0/00:16:e3:17:c0:c7
Sending on LPF/ath0/00:16:e3:17:c0:c7
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPDISCOVER on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14

I just found the wifi-radar.conf an paste here

[DEFAULT]
ifup_required = False
auto_profile_order = xxxxxxx
speak_up = False