Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Arthur Bela

Default encrypt file names zip

i can recursively zip a folder with password with:

zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/

but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see
them, i just only can't extract them!

or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O

ubuntu 10.10

Thank you for any answer!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Alan Pope

On 19 November 2010 10:21, Arthur Bela <jozsi.avadkan@gmail.com> wrote:
> i can recursively zip a folder with password with:
>
> zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/
>
> but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see
> them, i just only can't extract them!

Zip them twice?

i.e. zip the zip file up, then you can only see the zip file inside
the zip file, and not the individual files in the zip file in the zip
file

Cheers,
Al.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Didar Hossain

i can recursively zip a folder with password with:

zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/

but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see

them, i just only can't extract them!

or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O

ubuntu 10.10

Wrong mailing list to ask, but, I believe you can find 7-zip on Ubuntu as well.

Didar

Old 11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Simon Hollenbach

> i can recursively zip a folder with password with:

> zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/

> but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see

> them, i just only can't extract them!

> or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O

> ubuntu 10.10

Hi,

http://7-zip.software.informer.com/wiki/

it seems to be entirely possible to encrypt the file structure. The debian package is called p7zip.

http://www.giyf.com

Regards

Simon

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Knight

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 11:21 +0100, Arthur Bela wrote:
> i can recursively zip a folder with password with:
>
> zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/
>
> but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see
> them, i just only can't extract them!
>
> or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O
>
> ubuntu 10.10
>
> Thank you for any answer!

Check/install the Linux package for 7-zip and check the man-page.

I believe you're looking for the option: -mhe=on|off

<quote>
-mhe=on|off
7z format only : enables or disables archive header
encryption (Default : off)
</quote>

Knight Of The Post

Linux Pro or Pro Linux?!

Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:21:28 +0100, Arthur Bela wrote:

> i can recursively zip a folder with password with:
>
> zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/
>
> but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see
> them, i just only can't extract them!
>
> or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O

And IIRC, also does PeaZip (a very nice and portable tool).

> ubuntu 10.10

Oops, wrong list :-)

Anyway... have you tried with "tar-ing" the file and then apply
encryption with GPG? :-?

Zip password protection encryption seems weak or so says manual.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Adam Funk

On 2010-11-19, Arthur Bela wrote:

> i can recursively zip a folder with password with:
>
> zip -re some-folder.zip some-folder/
>
> but how can i "encrypt" the filenames in the zip file? cause i can see
> them, i just only can't extract them!
>
> or there isn't any way? 7-zip under windows can do it :O
>
> ubuntu 10.10
>
> Thank you for any answer!

Not the answer you're looking for, but something to bear in mind:

Package: fcrackzip
State: not installed
Version: 1.0-1
fcrackzip is a fast password cracker partly written in assembler. It is able to
crack password protected zip files with brute force or dictionary based
attacks, optionally testing with unzip its results. It can also crack cpmask'ed
images.
Homepage: http://freshmeat.net/projects/fcrackzip

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Mark

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:

> Not the answer you're looking for, but something to bear in mind:
>
> Package: fcrackzip
> State: not installed
> Version: 1.0-1
> *fcrackzip is a fast password cracker partly written in assembler. It is able to
> *crack password protected zip files with brute force or dictionary based
> *attacks, optionally testing with unzip its results. It can also crack cpmask'ed
> *images.
> Homepage: http://freshmeat.net/projects/fcrackzip

If I read this correctly, choosing a good password (i.e., a long,
multi-word pass phrase) will defeat this password cracker, or am I way
off base?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Mark

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not the answer you're looking for, but something to bear in mind:
>>
>> Package: fcrackzip
>> State: not installed
>> Version: 1.0-1
>> *fcrackzip is a fast password cracker partly written in assembler. It is able to
>> *crack password protected zip files with brute force or dictionary based
>> *attacks, optionally testing with unzip its results. It can also crack cpmask'ed
>> *images.
>> Homepage: http://freshmeat.net/projects/fcrackzip
>>
> If I read this correctly, choosing a good password (i.e., a long,
> multi-word pass phrase) will defeat this password cracker, or am I way
> off base?

Also, I ran configure and then make, and the make errored out immediately....