Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
"Der Engel"

Default Xorg problems dpkg-reconfigure

Hello,

I'm running sid and didn't chose to install a desktop enviroment
during install, I now want to install Xorg to run fluxbox.

I install xorg using aptitude, when trying to do 'dpkg-reconfigure
-plow xserver-xorg' the wizard only asks me about keyboard
configuration and saves itself inmediately,
it doesn't ask me about video, mouse, etc.. any ideas?

Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:16:05AM -0500, Der Engel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running sid and didn't chose to install a desktop enviroment
> during install, I now want to install Xorg to run fluxbox.
>
> I install xorg using aptitude, when trying to do 'dpkg-reconfigure
> -plow xserver-xorg' the wizard only asks me about keyboard
> configuration and saves itself inmediately,
> it doesn't ask me about video, mouse, etc.. any ideas?

what happens when you startx?

please provide the output of

dpkg -l *xorg* | grep ^ii

and the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
"Der Engel"

startx enters me fine into fluxbox but mouse doesn't work, looks like
X detects automatically resolution and driver card cause startx enters
me into fluxbox even if i don't have an xorg.conf but still mouse
doesn't work as it should be.

ouput of dpkg -l *xorg* | grep ^ii :

ii xorg 1:7.3+10
X.Org X Window System
ii xorg-docs 1:1.4-2
Miscellaneous documentation for the X.Org so
ii xserver-xorg 1:7.3+10
the X.Org X server
ii xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1
Xorg X server - core server
ii xserver-xorg-input-all 1:7.3+10
the X.Org X server -- input driver metapacka
ii xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:1.2.0-1
X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.2.2-3
X.Org X server -- keyboard input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.2.3-2
X.Org X server -- mouse input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 0.14.7~git20070706-2
Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree86
ii xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.7.9.3-2
X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-all 1:7.3+10
the X.Org X server -- output driver metapack
ii xserver-xorg-video-apm 1:1.1.1-10
X.Org X server -- APM display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-ark 1:0.6.0-9
X.Org X server -- ark display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.7.197-1
X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-chips 1:1.1.1-9
X.Org X server -- Chips display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1:1.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- Cirrus display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-cyrix 1:1.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- Cyrix display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-dummy 1:0.2.0-7
X.Org X server -- dummy display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.3.1-4
X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-glint 1:1.1.1-8
X.Org X server -- Glint display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-i128 1:1.2.1-4
X.Org X server -- i128 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-i740 1:1.1.0-7
X.Org X server -- i740 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-imstt 1:1.1.0-7
X.Org X server -- IMSTT display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.2.0-1
X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display d
ii xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.4.8.dfsg.1-1
X.Org X server -- MGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-neomagic 1:1.1.1-8
X.Org X server -- Neomagic display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-newport 1:0.2.1-4
X.Org X server -- Newport display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-nsc 1:2.8.3-2
X.Org X server -- NSC display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:2.1.7-1
X.Org X server -- NV display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-rendition 1:4.1.3.dfsg.1-4
X.Org X server -- Rendition display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-s3 1:0.5.0-4
X.Org X server -- legacy S3 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-s3virge 1:1.9.1-7
X.Org X server -- S3 ViRGE display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-savage 1:2.1.3-5
X.Org X server -- Savage display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion 1:1.5.1-3
X.Org X server -- SiliconMotion display driv
ii xserver-xorg-video-sis 1:0.9.3-6
X.Org X server -- SiS display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-sisusb 1:0.8.1-9
X.Org X server -- SiS USB display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 1:1.3.0-6
X.Org X server -- tdfx display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tga 1:1.1.0-9
X.Org X server -- TGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-trident 1:1.2.3-6
X.Org X server -- Trident display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tseng 1:1.1.1-4
X.Org X server -- Tseng display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-v4l 0.1.1-6
X.Org X server -- Video 4 Linux display driv
ii xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:1.3.0-4
X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-vga 1:4.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- VGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-via 1:0.2.2-5
X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:10.15.2-1
X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-voodoo 1:1.1.1-5
X.Org X server -- Voodoo display driver

xorg.conf is:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Old 02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Feb 2, 2008 9:06 AM, Der Engel <engelster@gmail.com> wrote:
> startx enters me fine into fluxbox but mouse doesn't work, looks like
> X detects automatically resolution and driver card cause startx enters
> me into fluxbox even if i don't have an xorg.conf but still mouse
> doesn't work as it should be.

<snip>

> xorg.conf is:
>

> # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
> #
> # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
> # values from the debconf database.
> #
> # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
> # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
> #
> # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
> # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
> # package.
> #
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
> # again, run the following command:
> # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection

Try adding a "device" option to the mouse section:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
EndSection

And possibly a protocol option, such as:

Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

You may not need this or the protocol "auto" may work.
See "man mouse" for more protocols.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
"Der Engel"

Well, my issue really is to make 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to
work, to be able to generate a full xorg.conf with it, i don't know
why it only asks me keyboard options only and then it closes. The
xorg.conf below was generated using: 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow
xserver-xorg'

Old 02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Feb 2, 2008 10:10 AM, Der Engel <engelster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, my issue really is to make 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to
> work, to be able to generate a full xorg.conf with it, i don't know
> why it only asks me keyboard options only and then it closes. The
> xorg.conf below was generated using: 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow
> xserver-xorg'

I think the debconf stuff for xorg has been changed, due to the fact
that xorg now works (or should work) with a very minimal xorg.conf.
The goal the upstream xorg devs are approaching is to be able to
run X without any conf file at all.

I just found some related information:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/XSFTODO

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM
David S

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> I think the debconf stuff for xorg has been changed, due to the fact
> that xorg now works (or should work) with a very minimal xorg.conf.
> The goal the upstream xorg devs are approaching is to be able to
> run X without any conf file at all.

Hi

The website you specified does clear up a lot of the questions I had
too, especially about "Configured" mice and video cards. However, I
would like to see perhaps a xorg.conf shipped with Xorg anyway, with
all the default options, except commented out. The way I see it, the
auto-configuration is still not up to par yet, and having a
ready-built xorg.conf to slip bits in from would be handy for
quickly getting Xorg working again.

Plus now the proprietary ATI driver kicks up a stink every time I
reinstall it.

David S