Old 11-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Dan Serban

Default Frustration made me do it.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:46:11 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jo, 18 nov 10, 21:37:32, Dan Serban wrote:
> >
> > I now have chromium and claws at my beck and call. Man.. are they
> > ever fast.
>
> While I like claws mail, last time I looked at it it was lacking IMAP
> IDLE support.

It does seem like IDLE support is lacking, though creates zero cause
for concern on my end, I don't mind waiting a minute or 5 for mail to
show up. In fact the non-feature may be considered a feature as it
synthetically creates free time for me =D.

> I would be interested to switch away from iceweasel if there was
> something like vimperator. The chromium plugin is lacking some basic
> features I use every day.

Right, vimperator _is_ nice, but firefox really just hurt me to the
point where I just couldn't get tasks done anymore. As another poster
said, hundreds of tabs open, because each webpage has a tidbit of
useful information etc is how I use it.

I do appreciate that everyone works differently, it's been so horrid
for so long that it came time to decide to conform to the way another
program works just to get some relief.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Charlie

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:20:21 -0500 john <john@jabberblog.ca> shared
this with us all:

>I thought I was alone in this, I've also ditched Iceweasel. I've
>found claws-mail to be just fine,

I also thought this, have dumped Iceweasel, finally got fed up, and
have used claws-mail for quite a long time and like it very much.
Changed when the problems [blessing as it turned out] with KDE and Kmail
started.

Charlie
--
http://www.skymesh.net.au/~taogypsy/
Registered Linux User:- 329524

If you aren't a little bit paranoid then you obviously aren't paying
attention. ------Ancient Chinese proverb

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 AM
"Robert Blair Mason Jr."

john <john@jabberblog.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:26:52 +0000
> Michal <michal@sharescope.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On 19/11/10 05:37, Dan Serban wrote:
> > > After years of running the mozilla suite (remember when you couldn't
> > > refresh a POST document in mozilla 0.6?) and begrudgingly moving to
> --------------snipp> >
> > > Just thought I'd make some noise and share, I feel so free. o/
> > >

> > Funnily, on the Windows 7 boxes I have I chucked Firefox for IE9 64bit
> > Betas. The speed increase I get is MASSIVE. Missing some addon's which
> > annoys me, but it's better then the constant problems I see with Firefox
> >
> I thought I was alone in this, I've also ditched Iceweasel. I've
> found claws-mail to be just fine, and have recently dropped Gnome and
> replaced it with xfce. Gnome has grown fat and sluggish

sed s/xfce/lxde/

--
rbmj

Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:04, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Vi, 19 nov 10, 05:49:13, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> Haven't switched to IMAP yet, still on Gmail at this point.
>
> And what's the problem? I use Gmail via IMAP just fine.

I use Gmail for the UI and the Search. Otherwise I would just run
Postfix+Dovecot on my server. I still plan to actually, but I keep
hoping if I put it off long enough, someone will make a good
search system and a UI I can enjoy.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 13:39, Jonathan Dlouhy <dlouhy55@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/19/2010 04:23 PM, Petrus Validus wrote:
>>
>> How does Seamonkey fare at performance/resource handling? *Is it any
>> better than FF? *I haven't used it in quite some time.
>
> Don't all the addons most folks use slow FF down even more?

Installing the top ten addons from AMO will about double the number
of stat()s on startup, I believe. And some are definitely memory/cpu
hogs. A few are outright buggy and will cause crashes and other
serious badness.

I can't live with a browser without them, though. And Mozilla at least
needs fewer than FF to be a reasonable browser. As far as resources
in general, for years Moz was far better at dealing with large numbers
of tabs, but Moz has only gotten a little better, while FF has improved
a lot, so they are pretty close. Actual memory used is pretty similar
(the allocator, etc. is in Gecko, so that makes sense).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 19 nov 10, 22:21:59, Robert Blair Mason Jr. wrote:

> > I thought I was alone in this, I've also ditched Iceweasel. I've
> > found claws-mail to be just fine, and have recently dropped Gnome and
> > replaced it with xfce. Gnome has grown fat and sluggish
>
> sed s/xfce/lxde/

+1, and also s/gdm/slim/, but unfortunately s/wicd/network-manager/

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 00:45, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> unfortunately s/wicd/network-manager/

yuck

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Sthu Deus

Dan Serban wrote:

> > I will spare you the minute details for my decision, but I assume
> > most of you experience the same frustrations I do. The increasing
> > bloat, the never enough memory (16gb real, 32gb swap) being happily
> > claimed by a single tab and xul-runner eating it all.

I use FF only, and have much less memory parameters - yet never had
any problem like that.

Of course it is up to You what You do w/ the software You've
once installed, but let it be at least known to You that the reasons
You've brought here just are no essential or in other words, not
Mozilla-specific.

Have a good day.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:26:43 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> In <20101119161324.2ed2f1a8.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
> >On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:03:44 +0000 (UTC)
> >Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Mozilla products are memory/CPU hogs, yes. I hope newer versions can
> >> correct that.
> >
> >I often wonder about this; IIRC, FF used to advertise itself as
> >"lightweight". Does it still do that? Was it ever accurate?
>
> It was lighter that the Mozilla suite that it "replaced". It was similar
> technology, but just a browser. It lacked the HTML editing abilities, the
> mail and news reader components, and a few other things. This significantly
> reduced load times and initial memory usage.

Okay, thanks.

> Much of the memory usage can be blamed on aggressive per-tab caching of
> webpages and/or extensions or plugins. Still, I find FF to cause me more
> problems than my other browser options, but having it around is essential for
> some sites, it seems.
>
> I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on a
> certain site. Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few flash-ad-ridden
> sites.

I have resisted installing konq, since I don't use KDE, and I have a
perhaps irrational resistance to installing that first KDE package that
will drag in all sorts of KDE libs and stuff. I've occasionally tried
chromium, but it never worked very well, and I couldn't be bothered to
investigate and figure out why.

Celejar

Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20101120185835.2915d9d3.celejar@gmail.com>, Celejar wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:26:43 -0600
>"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> Much of the memory usage can be blamed on aggressive per-tab caching of
>> webpages and/or extensions or plugins. Still, I find FF to cause me more
>> problems than my other browser options, but having it around is essential
>> for some sites, it seems.
>>
>> I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on
>> a certain site. Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few
>> flash-ad-ridden sites.
>
>I have resisted installing konq, since I don't use KDE, and I have a
>perhaps irrational resistance to installing that first KDE package that
>will drag in all sorts of KDE libs and stuff.

Maybe it is irrational, but I don't really see a good reason to use Konq if
you don't use KDE. I've used KDE since 3.3, and enjoy the level of
integration. If you don't benefit from the integration, it's just an aging
browser, though there is on-going work to make it more modern without losing
the integration.

There are other WebKit-based browsers besides Chromium out there and there are
other Gecko-based browsers besides FireFox / IceWeasel out there. By
experimenting you may find one that is less bad for you than FireFox.

Finally, if you need a browser that doesn't cost anything, even if it is not
Free Software, Opera is supposed to be fairly good, and I think they even have
.debs available. I used it as my primary browser before switching to Linux
(and mostly Free Software) and I actually found it much more usable than both
IE6 and whatever Mozilla product was available at the time.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Frank

> > >I often wonder about this; IIRC, FF used to advertise itself as
> > >"lightweight". Does it still do that? Was it ever accurate?
> >
> > It was lighter that the Mozilla suite that it "replaced". It was similar
> > technology, but just a browser. It lacked the HTML editing abilities, the
> > mail and news reader components, and a few other things. This significantly
> > reduced load times and initial memory usage.

> > I still prefer konqueror, or chromium-browser if konqueror doesn't work on a
> > certain site. Still, I find myself using FF + ABP on a few flash-ad-ridden
> > sites.
>
> I have resisted installing konq, since I don't use KDE, and I have a
> perhaps irrational resistance to installing that first KDE package that
> will drag in all sorts of KDE libs and stuff. I've occasionally tried
> chromium, but it never worked very well, and I couldn't be bothered to
> investigate and figure out why.

Strange. Google-Chrome is the thing that keeps me on the web now -
the ONLY thing I miss in it is FF's handling of RSS feeds. But I'm
not going back to that bloat to get them back.

--
-- Frank --