Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Mike Viau

Default How to recreate a dmraid RAID array with mdadm

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:18:13 +1000 <gcsgcatling@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am just starting to use RAID on my systems and it was suggested that I make
> sure my drives were set to raid by:---- "fdisk -l"
> This should say that the relavent drives are set to "raid auto-detect".
> Gerald

Where do you check "raid auto-detect" from fdisk?

fdisk -v

fdisk (util-linux-ng 2.17.2)

fdisk -l /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV

Disk /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: 1000.2 GB, 1000202043392 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121600 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

**************** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System
/dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV1************** 1***** 121600** 976751968+* 8e* Linux LVM

Also note that fdisk -l /dev/md/imsm0 returns nothing....

-M

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 AM
Neil Brown

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:10:50 -0500
Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:

> > > Applied new patch and got:
> > >
> > > ./mdadm -Ss
> > >
> > > mdadm: stopped /dev/md127
> > >

> > > ./mdadm -Asvvv
> > > mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
> > > mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-3
> > > mdadm: /dev/dm-3 has wrong uuid.
> > > want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
> > > tst=0x10dd010 sb=(nil)
> > > Segmentation fault
> >
> > Sorry... I guess I should have tested it myself..
> >
> > The
> > if (tst) {
> >
> > Should be
> >
> > if (tst && content) {
> >

> Apply update and got:
>
> mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
> mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
> mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
> mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
> mdadm: Container /dev/md/imsm0 has been assembled with 2 drives
> mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV

So just to clarify.

With the Debian mdadm, which is 3.1.4, if you

mdadm -Ss
mdadm -Asvv

it says (among other things) that /dev/sda has wrong uuid.
and doesn't start the array.

But with the mdadm you compiled yourself, which is also 3.1.4,
if you

mdadm -Ss
mdadm -Asvv

then it doesn't give that message, and it works.

That is very strange. It seems that the Debian mdadm is broken somehow, but
I'm fairly sure Debian hardly changes anything - they are *very* good at
getting their changes upstream first.

I don't suppose you have an /etc/mdadm.conf as well as /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
do you? If you did and the two were different, the Debian's mdadm would
behave a bit differently to upstream (they prefer different config files) but
I very much doubt that is the problem.

But I guess if the self-compiled one works (even when you take the patch
out), then just
make install

and be happy.

NeilBrown

Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Mike Viau

> > > Sorry... I guess I should have tested it myself..
> > >
> > > The
> > > if (tst) {
> > >
> > > Should be
> > >
> > > if (tst && content) {
> > >

> > Apply update and got:
> >
> > mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
> > mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
> > mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
> > mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
> > mdadm: Container /dev/md/imsm0 has been assembled with 2 drives
> > mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV
>
> So just to clarify.
>
> With the Debian mdadm, which is 3.1.4, if you
>
> mdadm -Ss
> mdadm -Asvv
>
> it says (among other things) that /dev/sda has wrong uuid.
> and doesn't start the array.

Actually both compiled and Debian do not start the array. Or atleast create the /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV device when running mdadm -I /dev/md/imsm0 does.

You are right about seeing a message on /dev/sda about having a wrong uuid somewhere though.Â* I went back to take a look at my output from the Debian mailing list to see that the mdadm did change slightly from this thread has begun.

The old output was copied verbatim on http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/11/msg01234.html and says (among other things) that /dev/sda has wrong uuid.

The /dev/sd[ab] has wrong uuid messages are missing from the mdadm -Asvv output but....

./mdadm -Ivv /dev/md/imsm0
mdadm: UUID differs from /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV.
mdadm: match found for member 0
mdadm: Started /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV with 2 devices

I still have this UUID message when still using the mdadm -I command.

I'll attach the output of both the mdadm commands above as they run now on the system, but I noticed, but also that in the same thread link above, with the old output I was inqurying as to both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (the drives which make up the raid1 array) do not appear to recognized as having a valid container when one is required.

What is take on GeraldCC (gcsgcatling@bigpond.com) assistance about /dev/sd[ab] containing a 8e (for LVM) partition type, rather than the fd type to denote raid autodetect. If this was the magical fix (which I am not saying it can’t be) why is mdadm -I /dev/md/imsm0 able to bring up the array for use as an physical volume for LVM?

> But with the mdadm you compiled yourself, which is also 3.1.4,
> if you
>
> mdadm -Ss
> mdadm -Asvv
>
> then it doesn't give that message, and it works.

Again, actually both compiled and Debian do not start the array. Or atleast
create the /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV device when running mdadm -I
/dev/md/imsm0 does.

> That is very strange. It seems that the Debian mdadm is broken somehow, but
> I'm fairly sure Debian hardly changes anything - they are *very* good at
> getting their changes upstream first.
>
> I don't suppose you have an /etc/mdadm.conf as well as /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
> do you? If you did and the two were different, the Debian's mdadm would
> behave a bit differently to upstream (they prefer different config files) but
> I very much doubt that is the problem.

There is no /etc/mdadm.conf on the filesystem only /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

> But I guess if the self-compiled one works (even when you take the patch
> out), then just
> make install

I wish this was the case...

> and be happy.
>
> NeilBrown
>

> > Full output at: http://paste.debian.net/100103/
> > expires:
> >
> > 2010-11-21 06:07:30

Thanks

-M
Compiled version

./mdadm -Ss

mdadm: stopped /dev/md127

===

./mdadm -Asvv

mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-3
mdadm: /dev/dm-3 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x982010 sb=(nil)
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-2
mdadm: /dev/dm-2 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x982120 sb=(nil)
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-1
mdadm: /dev/dm-1 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x9821b0 sb=(nil)
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-0
mdadm: /dev/dm-0 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x9919a0 sb=(nil)
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/loop0
mdadm: /dev/loop0 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991a30 sb=(nil)
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc7: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc7 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991ac0 sb=(nil)
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc6: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc6 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991b50 sb=(nil)
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc5: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc5 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991be0 sb=(nil)
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/sdc2
mdadm: /dev/sdc2 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991c70 sb=(nil)
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc1: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc1 has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991d00 sb=(nil)
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc has wrong uuid.
want UUID-084b969a:0808f5b8:6c784fb7:62659383
tst=0x991d90 sb=(nil)
mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md/imsm0, slot -1.
mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md/imsm0 as -1
mdadm: Container /dev/md/imsm0 has been assembled with 2 drives
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-3
mdadm/dev/dm-3 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-2
mdadm/dev/dm-2 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-1
mdadm/dev/dm-1 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-0
mdadm/dev/dm-0 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/loop0
mdadm/dev/loop0 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc7: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc7 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc6: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc6 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc5: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc5 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/sdc2
mdadm/dev/sdc2 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc1: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc1 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdb is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sda: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sda is not a container, and one is required.
[...]

DEBIAN mdadm

mdadm -Ss

mdadm: stopped /dev/md127

===

mdadm -Asvv

Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Neil Brown

I see the problem now. And John Robinson was nearly there.

The problem is that after assembling the container /dev/md/imsm,
mdadm needs to assemble the RAID1, but doesn't find the
container /dev/md/imsm to assemble it from.
That is because of the
DEVICE partitions
line.
A container is not a partition - it does not appear in /proc/partitions.
You need

DEVICE partitions containers

which is the default if you don't have a DEVICE line (and I didn't have a
device line in my testing).

I think all the "wrong uuid" messages were because the device was busy (and
so it didn't read a uuid), probably because you didn't "mdadm -Ss" first.

So just remove the "DEVICE partitions" line, or add " containers" to it, and
all should be happy.

NeilBrown

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:07:10 -0500

Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Mike Viau

> OnTue, 23 Nov 2010 10:11:29 +1100 <neilb@suse.de> wrote:>
> I see the problem now. And John Robinson was nearly there.
>
> The problem is that after assembling the container /dev/md/imsm,
> mdadm needs to assemble the RAID1, but doesn't find the
> container /dev/md/imsm to assemble it from.
> That is because of the
> DEVICE partitions
> line.
> A container is not a partition - it does not appear in /proc/partitions.
> You need
>
> DEVICE partitions containers
>
> which is the default if you don't have a DEVICE line (and I didn't have a
> device line in my testing).
>
> I think all the "wrong uuid" messages were because the device was busy (and
> so it didn't read a uuid), probably because you didn't "mdadm -Ss" first.
>
> So just remove the "DEVICE partitions" line, or add " containers" to it, and
> all should be happy.
>
> NeilBrown

Yes thank you, that seems to be the correct fix.

mdadm -Asvv

[...]
mdadm: looking in container /dev/md127
mdadm: found match on member /md127/0 in /dev/md127
mdadm: Started /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV with 2 devices <-- The line I was looking for

ls -al /dev/md/

total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Nov 23 09:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 3480 Nov 23 09:47 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 23 09:47 imsm0 -> ../md127
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 23 09:47 OneTB-RAID1-PV -> ../md126

I filed a bug[1] as I was just going along with default configurations, to see what is said about it.

Thanks soo much for your help Neil

[1] - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=604702