-   -   Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/454067-squeeze-gnome-correct-compiz-configuration.html)

Mark Goldshtein 11-17-2010 08:31 PM

Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

Hello, list!

Please, help to install and configure compiz manager correctly for
Debian Squeeze.
Googling got me some recommendations, kinda:

1. Open a terminal and type sudo su
2. Type gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

3. Add the following option under Section "ServerLayout"

Option "AIGLX" "true"

4. Add the following options under Section "Device"

Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"

5. Add the following options under Section "Screen"

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"

6. Add the following lines to the end of the file

Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Enable"

EndSection

But the is no such file:

# ls -la /etc/X11/
total 52
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 496 Nov 17 14:32 .
drwxr-xr-x 124 root root 6272 Nov 17 21:25 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1096 Nov 17 14:28 app-defaults
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15 Nov 17 14:28 default-display-manager
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 144 Nov 17 14:24 fonts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17394 Mar 10 2010 rgb.txt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 152 Nov 17 20:16 twm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Nov 17 14:32 X -> /usr/bin/Xorg
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 104 Nov 17 14:28 xinit
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 Mar 15 2010 xkb
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 709 Mar 10 2010 Xreset
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 72 Nov 17 14:09 Xreset.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Nov 17 14:09 Xresources
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3517 Mar 10 2010 Xsession
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 552 Nov 17 19:07 Xsession.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 265 Mar 10 2010 Xsession.options
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13 Nov 25 2009 XvMCConfig
-rw------- 1 root root 601 Nov 17 14:09 Xwrapper.config

What is the modern and correct way to accomplish a compiz
implementation into Squeeze?
Hardware:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
Subsystem: IBM Device 0527
Kernel driver in use: radeon
# glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

And I had have a fully working compiz under Lenny at this hardware.
Worked like a charm.

At the same time ./compiz-check now shows:

$ ./compiz-check

Gathering information about your system...

Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW
[Radeon Mobility 7500]
Driver in use: radeon
Rendering method: AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [FAIL]

There has been (at least) one error detected with your setup:
Error: Software Rasterizer in use

Would you, please, help me to bring all this to work? At least, point
me to actual document how to get compiz working on Squeeze.
Thank you very much!

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Camaleón 11-17-2010 09:11 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:31:20 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> Please, help to install and configure compiz manager correctly for
> Debian Squeeze.

(...)

http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz

THT

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Mark Goldshtein 11-18-2010 10:37 AM

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:31:20 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>
>> Please, help to install and configure compiz manager correctly for
>> Debian Squeeze.
>
> (...)
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz
>
> THT

Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
find it at all.

I have installed:

compizconfig-settings-manager - Compizconfig Settings Manager
compiz-fusion-plugins-main - Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
compiz-core - OpenGL window and compositing manager
compiz-gnome - OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOME window decorator
compiz-gtk - OpenGL window and compositing manager - Gtk window decorator
compiz-plugins - OpenGL window and compositing manager - plugins
compiz - OpenGL window and compositing manager
libdecoration0 - Compiz window decoration library
python-compizconfig - Compizconfig bindings for python
libcompizconfig0

But compiz does not works:

$ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
Launching fallback window manager

Correct me, if I am wrong, but the question is how to enable hardware
3D support in 'radeon' video driver, which is in use by my Radeon
Mobility 7500? Or, if it is impossible, how to change video driver,
which will support hardware 3D and will works with compiz?

I am asking, because I had have working compiz with Debian Lenny.
AFAIR, I have added those parameters from wiki page you have
mentioned, installed compiz, that is it. I do not remember any trouble
or any questions about it.

Please, help to bring compiz to live in Debian Squeeze.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Jens Van Broeckhoven 11-18-2010 12:18 PM

Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

Op Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000
Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:

> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
> find it at all.

Run "X -configure" to create a new xorg.conf

#X -configure
#mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Jens.

Mark Goldshtein 11-18-2010 01:52 PM

Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jens Van Broeckhoven
<jens.van.broeckhoven@telenet.be> wrote:
> Op Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000
> Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:
>

>> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
>> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
>> find it at all.
>
> Run "X -configure" to create a new xorg.conf
>
> #X -configure
> #mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The system does not allows me to do that:
# X -configure

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

How to close current X session and do not start a new one automatically?

I am continue googling and that brings more questions:

In dmesg I have noticed that info:

dmesg |grep radeon
[ 6.739852] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
[ 6.740059] radeon 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
[ 6.740103] radeon 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
[ 6.740116] radeon 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> Link[LNKA] -> GSI 11
(level, low) -> IRQ 11
[ 6.752775] [drm] radeon: Initializing kernel modesetting.
[ 6.753433] radeon 0000:01:00.0: putting AGP V2 device into 4x mode
[ 6.753456] [drm] radeon: VRAM 64M
[ 6.753459] [drm] radeon: VRAM from 0x00000000 to 0x03FFFFFF
[ 6.753462] [drm] radeon: GTT 256M
[ 6.753465] [drm] radeon: GTT from 0xD0000000 to 0xDFFFFFFF
[ 6.753499] [drm] radeon: irq initialized.
[ 6.754132] [drm] radeon: 32M of VRAM memory ready
[ 6.754135] [drm] radeon: 256M of GTT memory ready.
[ 6.754450] [drm] radeon: cp idle (0x00008383)
[ 6.755024] platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/R100_cp.bin
[ 6.788832] radeon_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R100_cp.bin"
[ 6.788924] radeon 0000:01:00.0: failled initializing CP (-2).
[ 6.788966] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

R100_cp.bin is a part of firmware-linux-nonfree package.

# dpkg -l |grep firmware
ii firmware-ipw2x00 0.27
Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and 2915

If I will install this package into the system, does it resolve the
problem with compiz malfunctioning? Sorry, if I am asking something
obvious, but I am not familiar with linux and do not want to do
something harmful to the system, which I have installed with so much
trouble. The question is, if this is a key component for 'radeon'
video driver of my laptop videoboard, why it is not installed by
default?

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Jens Van Broeckhoven 11-18-2010 02:05 PM

Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

Op Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:52:13 +0000
Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jens Van Broeckhoven
> <jens.van.broeckhoven@telenet.be> wrote:
> > Op Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000
> > Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:
> >

> >> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
> >> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I
> >> cannot find it at all.
> >
> > Run "X -configure" to create a new xorg.conf
> >
> > #X -configure
> > #mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >

> The system does not allows me to do that:
> # X -configure
>
> Fatal server error:
> Server is already active for display 0
> If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> and start again.

You can't configure X while running it.
Try:

# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
# X -configure
# mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# /etc/init.d/gdm start

Camaleón 11-18-2010 03:22 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:31:20 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>>
>>> Please, help to install and configure compiz manager correctly for
>>> Debian Squeeze.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz
>>
>> THT
>>

> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
> find it at all.

Yes, it is no more "by default", but you can create it.

> I have installed:
>
> compizconfig-settings-manager - Compizconfig Settings Manager
> compiz-fusion-plugins-main - Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
> compiz-core - OpenGL window and compositing manager compiz-gnome -
> OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOME window decorator
> compiz-gtk - OpenGL window and compositing manager - Gtk window
> decorator compiz-plugins - OpenGL window and compositing manager -
> plugins compiz - OpenGL window and compositing manager libdecoration0 -
> Compiz window decoration library python-compizconfig - Compizconfig
> bindings for python libcompizconfig0
>
> But compiz does not works:
>
> $ compiz --replace
> compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected. compiz (core) -
> Error: Failed to manage screen: 0 compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable
> screens found on display :0.0 Launching fallback window manager
>
> Correct me, if I am wrong, but the question is how to enable hardware 3D
> support in 'radeon' video driver, which is in use by my Radeon Mobility
> 7500? Or, if it is impossible, how to change video driver, which will
> support hardware 3D and will works with compiz?

3D should be enabled by default when using radeon driver, I wouldn't
bother about that (you can check it with "glxinfo | grep -i render").

> I am asking, because I had have working compiz with Debian Lenny. AFAIR,
> I have added those parameters from wiki page you have mentioned,
> installed compiz, that is it. I do not remember any trouble or any
> questions about it.
>
> Please, help to bring compiz to live in Debian Squeeze.

You have to follow the same steps. If "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is not there,
just create it and add the required sections.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Mark Goldshtein 11-18-2010 04:26 PM

Squeeze.GNOME. Correct compiz configuration.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Jens Van Broeckhoven
<jens.van.broeckhoven@telenet.be> wrote:
> Op Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:52:13 +0000
> Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jens Van Broeckhoven
>> <jens.van.broeckhoven@telenet.be> wrote:

>> > Run "X -configure" to create a new xorg.conf
>> >
>> > #X -configure
>> > #mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> >

>> The system does not allows me to do that:
>> # X -configure
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Server is already active for display 0
>> * * * If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
>> * * * and start again.
>>

> You can't configure X while running it.
> Try:
>
> # /etc/init.d/gdm stop
> # X -configure
> # mv ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> # /etc/init.d/gdm start

Thank you, xorg.conf created successfully.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Mark Goldshtein 11-18-2010 04:38 PM

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:37:41 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> http://wiki.debian.org/Compiz
>>>
>>> THT
>>>

>> Yes, this is a first link I have checked, but there about xorg.conf
>> also. I can not find that file in /etc/X11 anymore. Actually, I cannot
>> find it at all.
>
> Yes, it is no more "by default", but you can create it.

Done. Next, will try to add the options mentioned on wiki.

>> I have installed:
>>
>> compizconfig-settings-manager - Compizconfig Settings Manager
>> compiz-fusion-plugins-main - Compiz Fusion plugins - main collection
>> compiz-core - OpenGL window and compositing manager compiz-gnome -
>> OpenGL window and compositing manager - GNOME window decorator
>> compiz-gtk - OpenGL window and compositing manager - Gtk window
>> decorator compiz-plugins - OpenGL window and compositing manager -
>> plugins compiz - OpenGL window and compositing manager libdecoration0 -
>> Compiz window decoration library python-compizconfig - Compizconfig
>> bindings for python libcompizconfig0
>>
>> But compiz does not works:
>>
>> $ compiz --replace
>> compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected. compiz (core) -
>> Error: Failed to manage screen: 0 compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable
>> screens found on display :0.0 Launching fallback window manager
>>
>> Correct me, if I am wrong, but the question is how to enable hardware 3D
>> support in 'radeon' video driver, which is in use by my Radeon Mobility
>> 7500? Or, if it is impossible, how to change video driver, which will
>> support hardware 3D and will works with compiz?
>
> 3D should be enabled by default when using radeon driver, I wouldn't
> bother about that (you can check it with "glxinfo | grep -i render").

It is not enabled by default, that a problem is.

$ glxinfo | grep -i render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer

It is because needed module for hardware acceleration does not loaded:

[ 7.667868] platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/R100_cp.bin
[ 7.691511] radeon_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R100_cp.bin"
[ 7.691602] radeon 0000:01:00.0: failled initializing CP (-2).
[ 7.691643] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

>From that strange fact we have this situation:

$ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

As here we may see, it is software rasterisation enabled instead of hardware.

>> I am asking, because I had have working compiz with Debian Lenny. AFAIR,
>> I have added those parameters from wiki page you have mentioned,
>> installed compiz, that is it. I do not remember any trouble or any
>> questions about it.
>>
>> Please, help to bring compiz to live in Debian Squeeze.
>
> You have to follow the same steps. If "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is not there,
> just create it and add the required sections.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but I think it is useless until hardware
rendering will be available and turned on.

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Camaleón 11-18-2010 05:00 PM

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:38:05 +0000, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Correct me, if I am wrong, but the question is how to enable hardware
>>> 3D support in 'radeon' video driver, which is in use by my Radeon
>>> Mobility 7500? Or, if it is impossible, how to change video driver,
>>> which will support hardware 3D and will works with compiz?
>>
>> 3D should be enabled by default when using radeon driver, I wouldn't
>> bother about that (you can check it with "glxinfo | grep -i render").
>
> It is not enabled by default, that a problem is.
>
> $ glxinfo | grep -i render
> direct rendering: Yes
> OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer

By reading this:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/glxinfo

It seems to enable software rendering, yes.

> It is because needed module for hardware acceleration does not loaded:
>
> [ 7.667868] platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/R100_cp.bin
> [ 7.691511] radeon_cp: Failed to load firmware "radeon/R100_cp.bin"
> [ 7.691602] radeon 0000:01:00.0: failled initializing CP (-2).
> [ 7.691643] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

Oh, I see ;-(

Then you should first fix that "missing firmware" issue to get full 3D
hardware acceleration:

Installing proprietary firmware
http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

> From that strange fact we have this situation:
>
> $ LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so libGL:
> OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so display: :0 screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes
>
> As here we may see, it is software rasterisation enabled instead of
> hardware.

Yes.

>>> Please, help to bring compiz to live in Debian Squeeze.
>>
>> You have to follow the same steps. If "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is not
>> there, just create it and add the required sections.
>
> Correct me, if I am wrong, but I think it is useless until hardware
> rendering will be available and turned on.

Yes, or at leas that was also my understanding.

Greetings

--
Camaleón