Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Camaleón

Default waiting for meter-svc.nytimes.com

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:26:00 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> With either IW or google-chrome I get 'waiting for meter-svc.nytimes.com
> when looking at the nytimes site. This is with Sid.
>
> With Lenny and a laptop I don' t get that.
>
> They are connected to the same broadband router.
>
> Anybody see something like that?

Same here... with lenny+IW.

But after some seconds, the page loads fine.

I'm afraid that machine (meter-svc.nytimes.com) could be kinda host/proxy
holding javascript metrics for getting counted all the "hits" of the
users. Marketing...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

With either IW or google-chrome I get 'waiting for meter-svc.nytimes.com
when looking at the nytimes site. This is with Sid.

With Lenny and a laptop I don' t get that.

They are connected to the same broadband router.

Anybody see something like that?

Same here... with lenny+IW.

But after some seconds, the page loads fine.

I'm afraid that machine (meter-svc.nytimes.com) could be kinda host/proxy
holding javascript metrics for getting counted all the "hits" of the
users. Marketing...

But why does it wait much longer with the desktop+Sid than with the
laptop+Lenny?

Archive: ic1cim$s73$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ic1cim$s73$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:05:42 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Anybody see something like that?
>>
>> Same here... with lenny+IW.
>>
>> But after some seconds, the page loads fine.
>>
>> I'm afraid that machine (meter-svc.nytimes.com) could be kinda
>> host/proxy holding javascript metrics for getting counted all the
>> "hits" of the users. Marketing...
>>

> But why does it wait much longer with the desktop+Sid than with the
> laptop+Lenny?

Maybe -just wild-guessing here- due to the difference in browser's
implementation of javascript engine (sid includes newer versions of both,
IW and Chrome, which in fact, should be even faster in javascript
rendering but who knows... Internet is becoming an "uncomfortable" place).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

But after some seconds, the page loads fine.

I'm afraid that machine (meter-svc.nytimes.com) could be kinda
host/proxy holding javascript metrics for getting counted all the
"hits" of the users. Marketing...

But why does it wait much longer with the desktop+Sid than with the
laptop+Lenny?

Maybe -just wild-guessing here- due to the difference in browser's
implementation of javascript engine (sid includes newer versions of both,
IW and Chrome, which in fact, should be even faster in javascript
rendering but who knows... Internet is becoming an "uncomfortable" place).

You got that right!

Archive: ic1dt1$36l$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ic1dt1$36l$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
"James R. Liebert"

Using Ubuntu Linux 10.10
and Firefox 3.6.12,* I persistently am hanging up at
meter-svc.nytimes.com*.* It is not merely a few seconds, but
75-100.*

I have heard from the website customer service department of
NYT, who advise that the browser cache must be cleared, because
NYT pages incessantly are revised.* Since receiving this advice
I have cleared the browser cache consistently before and after
each session, to no avail.

My machine is dual-boot, Windows 2000 Pro and Firefox 3.6.12,
which uses the same profile as the Linux installation of
Firefox.* I experience no such hang-up at meter-svc.nytimes.com*
within Windows.

I am a heavy user of NYT.* I suspect they are preparing a
metered use dossier in support of fees they will impose early in
2011, but do not understand why I am not hanging up at the same
toll booth in Windows.

JimLbrt

Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

James R. Liebert wrote:
Using Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and Firefox 3.6.12, I persistently am
hanging up at meter-svc.nytimes.com*. It is not merely a few seconds,
but 75-100.

I have heard from the website customer service department of NYT, who
advise that the browser cache must be cleared, because NYT pages
incessantly are revised. Since receiving this advice I have cleared the
browser cache consistently before and after each session, to no avail.

My machine is dual-boot, Windows 2000 Pro and Firefox 3.6.12, which uses
the same profile as the Linux installation of Firefox. I experience no
such hang-up at meter-svc.nytimes.com* within Windows.

I am a heavy user of NYT. I suspect they are preparing a metered use
dossier in support of fees they will impose early in 2011, but do not
understand why I am not hanging up at the same toll booth in Windows.

Interesting. Thanks.

Hugo

Archive: ic39qu$kvu$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ic39qu$kvu$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

James R. Liebert wrote:
Using Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and Firefox 3.6.12, I persistently am
hanging up at meter-svc.nytimes.com*. It is not merely a few seconds,
but 75-100.

I have heard from the website customer service department of NYT, who
advise that the browser cache must be cleared, because NYT pages
incessantly are revised. Since receiving this advice I have cleared the
browser cache consistently before and after each session, to no avail.

My machine is dual-boot, Windows 2000 Pro and Firefox 3.6.12, which uses
the same profile as the Linux installation of Firefox. I experience no
such hang-up at meter-svc.nytimes.com* within Windows.

I am a heavy user of NYT. I suspect they are preparing a metered use
dossier in support of fees they will impose early in 2011, but do not
understand why I am not hanging up at the same toll booth in Windows.

Used Vmplayer to run XP (from 2001) and this appears to be true: no
hangups on nyt servers anywhere. What's going on?

Hugo