Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Sthu Deus

Default Xserver running on i586.

Good day.

I can not start Xserver on an old machine - that w/ Pentium-I CPU. -
Monitor just turns off its screen as soon as the Xserver starts -
booting I see. Also, I can switch between console and X-session
(monitor turns off its screen when I switch to X - and turns on when
to console) - therefore, it runs - I conclude - but no image.

The last lines in its log I have:

(**) Generic Keyboard: XkbOptions: "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Generic Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) evaluating device (<default pointer>)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "<default pointer>" (type:
MOUSE) (II) evaluating device (Generic Keyboard)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
KEYBOARD) (--) <default pointer>: PnP-detected protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) <default pointer>: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
[config/hal] couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

I installed the X-server components from myself - having basic
(necessary to work in console) packages installed and OS running. -
Therefore, I suppose some essential man is not there. - Though I
believe, a X-session I have to see.

I did not install it from meta package installing everything. But I
have the vcards packages - including mine vcard - S3Trio -
xserver-xorg-video-s3.

All I have in xorg.conf is this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "Configured Mouse"
# Driver "mouse"
#EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

So, what can be the problem?

Thank You for Your time.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:51:17 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I can not start Xserver on an old machine - that w/ Pentium-I CPU. -
> Monitor just turns off its screen as soon as the Xserver starts -
> booting I see. Also, I can switch between console and X-session (monitor
> turns off its screen when I switch to X - and turns on when to console)
> - therefore, it runs - I conclude - but no image.
>
> The last lines in its log I have:

(...)

For this matter, I think it's better to review the full log (you can
upload to www.pastebin.com or a similar service).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> For this matter, I think it's better to review the full log (you can
> upload to www.pastebin.com or a similar service).

OK. Posted here:

http://pastebin.com/4HuEVC89

Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:23:46 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> For this matter, I think it's better to review the full log (you can
>> upload to www.pastebin.com or a similar service).
>
> OK. Posted here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/4HuEVC89

Thanks.

Read this bug report and see if it fits for you (there is a workaround in
comment #15).

xserver-xorg-video-s3: on S3 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] screen stays
blank in power saving mode

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Read this bug report and see if it fits for you (there is a
> workaround in comment #15).
>
> xserver-xorg-video-s3: on S3 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] screen stays
> blank in power saving mode

It did the trick - though I did not specify any depth in xorg.conf - it
is a bug I suppose that xserver starts w/ such high depth and fails and
tries no less depth. For the newbe and not only for him - it really
frustrating adding more causes to those who blame linux for its
hardness of use.

I will add my comment to the above BR.