Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Gary Roach

Default Upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze

I have a dual boot Windows XP / Lenny Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop. I have
it setup for dual boot with XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other.
I wanted to upgrade to Squeeze. I ran an Aptitude upgrade by changing
Lenny to Squeeze in the /etc/apt/source.list file and then running the
usual update sequence. Everything worked except Postgresql 8.4 refused
to configure. After reading the bug reports I concluded that this is a
serious bug that isn't going away soon. So I burned a Squeeze Network
Installation Disk (6.1 beta) and attempted to install the new system
that way. The Squeeze disk didn't recognize the windows system and
trashed my boot files. I finally did a fresh installation using my old
Lenny Network Installation Disk. This corrected all of the problems but
leaves me back where I started.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this upgrade safely and effectively.

Gary R.

Archive: 4CE2DD83.2040508@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CE2DD83.2040508@verizon.net

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Simon Hollenbach

> I have a dual boot Windows XP / Lenny Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop. I have

> it setup for dual boot with XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other.

> I wanted to upgrade to Squeeze. I ran an Aptitude upgrade by changing

> Lenny to Squeeze in the /etc/apt/source.list file and then running the

> usual update sequence. Everything worked except Postgresql 8.4 refused

> to configure. After reading the bug reports I concluded that this is a

> serious bug that isn't going away soon. So I burned a Squeeze Network

> Installation Disk (6.1 beta) and attempted to install the new system

> that way. The Squeeze disk didn't recognize the windows system and

> trashed my boot files. I finally did a fresh installation using my old

> Lenny Network Installation Disk. This corrected all of the problems but

> leaves me back where I started.

> Can anyone tell me how I can do this upgrade safely and effectively.

> Gary R.

> listmaster@lists.debian.org Archive:

> http://lists.debian.org/4CE2DD83.2040508@verizon.net

Hello Gary,

restoring the ability to boot to Win from GRUB2 shouldnt be a problem. After having installed Squeeze, make sure os-prober is installed. #su #apt-get install os-prober

Afterwards by running #su #update-grub you ought see a line identifying your Win partition.

I hope that'll help

Simon

Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Gary Roach

Sorry Simon. When I said that my boot files were trashed I meant that
neither XP or Linux was working anymore. The laptop was a boat anchor.

Gary R.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 16 nov 10, 11:37:39, Gary Roach wrote:

> attempted to install the new system that way. The Squeeze disk
> didn't recognize the windows system and trashed my boot files. I

This shouldn't happen. If you can reproduce this it would be important
to file a bug report.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Glyn Astill

Which version of postgresql were you running prior to the upgrade?

I presume 8.4 failed to configure as in order to use data from previous versions you need to upgrade the data via a dump/ restore or pgmigrator etc. Not sure what debians packages for postgres do/ attempt to do but I'm pretty sure the issue would be something to do with this.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:37:39 -0800, Gary Roach wrote:

> I have a dual boot Windows XP / Lenny Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop. I have
> it setup for dual boot with XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other.
> I wanted to upgrade to Squeeze. I ran an Aptitude upgrade by changing
> Lenny to Squeeze in the /etc/apt/source.list file and then running the
> usual update sequence. Everything worked except Postgresql 8.4 refused
> to configure. After reading the bug reports I concluded that this is a
> serious bug that isn't going away soon. So I burned a Squeeze Network
> Installation Disk (6.1 beta) and attempted to install the new system
> that way. The Squeeze disk didn't recognize the windows system and
> trashed my boot files. I finally did a fresh installation using my old
> Lenny Network Installation Disk. This corrected all of the problems but
> leaves me back where I started.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can do this upgrade safely and effectively.

So in brief, you are facing two problems:

1/ Squeeze installer "trashed"? your boot files
2/ PostgreSQL fails to configure after updating from lenny

You better explain what did you do and what errors did you get for 1/ and
2/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:51:02PM -0800, Gary Roach wrote:
> Sorry Simon. When I said that my boot files were trashed I meant that
> neither XP or Linux was working anymore. The laptop was a boat anchor.

You can probably still boot if you use supergrubdisk (burn the iso to a
cd and boot off of that).

-Rob