Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default atx mobo that isn't atx

Hi,

In the process of installing asus M4N98TD EVO ATX mobo, I discovered
that the one I am replacing, an Epox 8VTAI, says it's ATX but it isn't:
it's 305mmx210mm and that is nothing that I recognize.

Hugo

Archive: ibujij$atm$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ibujij$atm$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:46:43 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> In the process of installing asus M4N98TD EVO ATX mobo, I discovered
> that the one I am replacing, an Epox 8VTAI, says it's ATX but it isn't:
> it's 305mmx210mm and that is nothing that I recognize.

After digging a bit with Google, it seems that "305x210mm" form factor
motherboards are called "narrowed ATX"... not sure if they fit to any
standard, though, but many manufacturers are providing such boards
nowadays :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

In the process of installing asus M4N98TD EVO ATX mobo, I discovered
that the one I am replacing, an Epox 8VTAI, says it's ATX but it isn't:
it's 305mmx210mm and that is nothing that I recognize.

After digging a bit with Google, it seems that "305x210mm" form factor
motherboards are called "narrowed ATX"... not sure if they fit to any
standard, though, but many manufacturers are providing such boards
nowadays :-?

Mobo is 5 years old. See quite a few mobo's 305x210, still. Missed the
"narrowed atx" though. Thanks.

Hugo

Archive: ibup12$8q3$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ibup12$8q3$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Hugo Vanwoerkom put forth on 11/16/2010 2:19 PM:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:46:43 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>
>>> In the process of installing asus M4N98TD EVO ATX mobo, I discovered
>>> that the one I am replacing, an Epox 8VTAI, says it's ATX but it isn't:
>>> it's 305mmx210mm and that is nothing that I recognize.
>>
>> After digging a bit with Google, it seems that "305x210mm" form factor
>> motherboards are called "narrowed ATX"... not sure if they fit to any
>> standard, though, but many manufacturers are providing such boards
>> nowadays :-?
>>

> Mobo is 5 years old. See quite a few mobo's 305x210, still. Missed the
> "narrowed atx" though. Thanks.

If the Epox board came out of, and you are installing the Asus board
into, a standard ATX case, the Asus board will drop right in and all the
mounting holes should line up just fine.

A cautionary note: You should probably replace your PSU as well, given
that you're going to install a multi-core CPU and possibly SLI graphics
cards. Your old PSU will probably not be up to the task. If you intend
to run SLI GPUs, install an SLI PSU with dual +12V rails.

--
Stan