Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Peter Tenenbaum

Default Problem with gnome in recovered squeeze system

I recently had to recover from a hard drive failure in my Debian squeeze desktop computer. *After the usual thrashing around I have managed to (I think) recover all my files and configuration information from backup, get grub installed, and get all the grub configurations set properly so that Debian boots and I am greeted with the Gnome login screen. *Unfortunately, When I enter my username and password I am informed that my session lasted less than 10 seconds, and that if I did not log myself out then something must be wrong. *When I view the ~/.xsession-errors file, what I see is:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup ...mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied
When I try to use failsafe gnome, I get the error:
/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256

I can log in using failsafe terminal (so user account information has been recovered properly).
Any suggestions for what needs to be done? *I have a Debian-live rescue CD and a Debian-live with Gnome DVD, both of which run correctly.

Thanks in advance,-PT

Old 11-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:28:11 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> I recently had to recover from a hard drive failure in my Debian squeeze
> desktop computer. After the usual thrashing around I have managed to (I
> think) recover all my files and configuration information from backup,
> get grub installed, and get all the grub configurations set properly so
> that Debian boots and I am greeted with the Gnome login screen.
> Unfortunately, When I enter my username and password I am informed that
> my session lasted less than 10 seconds, and that if I did not log myself
> out then something must be wrong. When I view the ~/.xsession-errors
> file, what I see is:
>
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup ... mkdtemp: private socket
> dir: Permission denied

(...)

Check "/tmp" perms:

sm01@stt008:~$ ls -l / | grep tmp
drwxrwxrwt 11 root root 512 nov 16 08:41 tmp

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Jochen Schulz

Peter Tenenbaum:

> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup ...
> mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied

Can your user write to /tmp? Google suggests to 'chmod 1777 /tmp'.

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Jochen Schulz

Peter Tenenbaum:

> Never mind. JFGI.

True.

> Had to chmod 777 on /tmp.

/tmp usually has the sticky bit set. That makes sure that nobody can
delete other peoples' files.

J.
--
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:38:07 -0800, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

> Never mind. JFGI. Had to chmod 777 on /tmp. I now appear to have a
> normal session on my computer, woo hoo!

Don't forget the "sticky bit" as Jochen suggested.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón