Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
"Yuelin Li"

Default 'netstat -tu' shows unexpected outbound connection

"netstat -tu" shows a connection to 172.22.202:microsoft-ds.
This connection is there all the time, even after I have
closed all web browers and network connections I know of. I
still can't think of any reason why I am connected to
172.22.202.*. My firestarter GUI shows the full IP address
being 172.22.202.35, via port 445. 'host 172.22.202.35' says
"not found".

Is this something I should worry about? I can't seem to get
rid of it by temporarily stopping services.

I am running Debian Lenny x86-64, with Samba installed (but
stopped at the time of running netstat below).

Many thanks,

Yuelin.
--------------------------
$ netstat -tu
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 my.own.ip.add:37306 172.22.202:microsoft-ds ESTABLISHED
udp 0 0 localhost:53855 localhost:53855 ESTABLISHED

communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If
computer.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 PM
"Yuelin Li"

I found out why.

The outbound IP address belongs to a Windows NT machine for a
shared drive.

My paranoia.

Yuelin.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Chris Davies

Yuelin Li <liy12@mskcc.org> wrote:
> "netstat -tu" shows a connection to 172.22.202:microsoft-ds.

172.22 is part of rfc1918 address space, and therefore cannot be anywhere
other than on your own network (or, I suppose, your ISP's network).

> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
> tcp 0 0 my.own.ip.add:37306 172.22.202:microsoft-ds ESTABLISHED

This looks like your own box has established the connection *to* the
"remote" box. Can you ping 172.22.202.35? Is it part of your LAN address
space?

Chris