Old 11-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Arnt Karlsen

Default Error loading operating system

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:20:02 -0400, Stefan wrote in message
<jwvab2n5p8a.fsf-monnier+gmane.linux.debian.user@gnu.org>:

> > sda1 / 10Gb

..overkill.

> > sda2 /usr 10Gb

..unless this is a single purpose server,
you will want much more, e.g. 50G.

> > sda3 /var 10 Gb

..for a server, you want much more, I use
22G for a lan web server.

> > sda5 swap 1 Gb

..um, you sacrifice speed for safety if you have
enough swap to capture _everything_ in ram, the
old rule was 2 times ram.

> > sda6 /tmp 1 Gb
> > sda7 /home the rest of the drive....about 456 Gb

..riiight ;o), enough people has eaten their own
words "on way too much." ;oD

> Every one has his favorite partitioning scheme

..aye. ;o) A45 was an AMD k6-2 450MHz and it can be argued
whether the disk moved into a new box or the machine was
upgraded to a 2 threaded 3.2GHz P4 around the disk... ;o)
arnt@a45:/tmp $ df -h
/dev/hdb14 956M 188M 717M 21% /
tmpfs 1013M 4.0K 1013M 1% /lib/init/rw
udev 1006M 404K 1006M 1% /dev
tmpfs 1013M 648K 1013M 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda1 133M 28M 98M 23% /boot
/dev/sda6 16G 13G 2.3G 85% /home
/dev/sda7 29G 26G 2.1G 93% /home/arnt
/dev/sda13 4.0G 67M 3.7G 2% /tmp
/dev/sda8 22G 20G 560M 98% /usr
/dev/sda9 4.7G 2.1G 2.4G 47% /usr/local
/dev/sda10 6.5G 3.4G 2.8G 55% /var
/dev/sda12 5.0G 2.3G 2.5G 49% /var/log
/dev/sda11 22G 19G 1.9G 91% /var/www
arnt@a45:/tmp $

> (and prefers or avoids
> LVM), so I won't delve into that, but in my experience, you'd be
> better off adding /tmp's 1GB to the swap and then use tmpfs for /tmp.

..or a combination? ;o)

> You'll get slightly better performance (mostly because tmpfs doesn't
> need to care about preserving a consistent filesystem in case of
> a crash).

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:08:42 +0100
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:20:02 -0400, Stefan wrote in message
> <jwvab2n5p8a.fsf-monnier+gmane.linux.debian.user@gnu.org>:
>
> > > sda1 / 10Gb
>
> ..overkill.
>
> > > sda2 /usr 10Gb
>
> ..unless this is a single purpose server,
> you will want much more, e.g. 50G.

50Gb for /usr?! Why?!

> > > sda3 /var 10 Gb
>
> ..for a server, you want much more, I use
> 22G for a lan web server.

Why? What's in your var?

Celejar

Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:12:37 -0500, Celejar wrote in message
<20101115211237.ad4d60f6.celejar@gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:08:42 +0100
> Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

> > ..overkill.

> > ..unless this is a single purpose server,
> > you will want much more, e.g. 50G.
>
> 50Gb for /usr?! Why?!

..I installed _everything_ until Lenny, and
played around and reported mostly conflict
bugs. And, Sid provides a softer growth than
the dist-upgrade disk usage shocks. ;o)

..most people will want "comfy space" to play
around in and learn, these days that's easily
20GB, and for your next machine in say 5 years,
easily 50GB.

> > ..for a server, you want much more, I use
> > 22G for a lan web server.
>
> Why? What's in your var?

.. mount points for /var/www and var/log
(22GB and 2.2GB), 1.6GB in var/tmp,
1.3GB in /var/lib, 179MB in /var/cache and
120MB in /var/mail, to name the big ones.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:56:12 +0100
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:12:37 -0500, Celejar wrote in message
> <20101115211237.ad4d60f6.celejar@gmail.com>:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 22:08:42 +0100
> > Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:

> > > ..overkill.

> > > ..unless this is a single purpose server,
> > > you will want much more, e.g. 50G.
> >
> > 50Gb for /usr?! Why?!
>
> ..I installed _everything_ until Lenny, and
> played around and reported mostly conflict
> bugs. And, Sid provides a softer growth than
> the dist-upgrade disk usage shocks. ;o)
>
> ..most people will want "comfy space" to play
> around in and learn, these days that's easily
> 20GB, and for your next machine in say 5 years,
> easily 50GB.

This still seems very high. My /usr currently uses 2GB, and while I
admit I'm pretty parsimonious, I really don't see the point in 20.
HDDs are large today, but my machine only has 60.

> > > ..for a server, you want much more, I use
> > > 22G for a lan web server.
> >
> > Why? What's in your var?
>
> .. mount points for /var/www and var/log
> (22GB and 2.2GB), 1.6GB in var/tmp,
> 1.3GB in /var/lib, 179MB in /var/cache and
> 120MB in /var/mail, to name the big ones.

Yes, I understand a few GB for /var/log, but many webservers aren't
serving anything close to 20 GB of content.

Celejar

Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:11:10 -0500, Celejar wrote in message
<20101116151110.a73dd6fc.celejar@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:56:12 +0100
> Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:12:37 -0500, Celejar wrote in message
> > <20101115211237.ad4d60f6.celejar@gmail.com>:

> > > 50Gb for /usr?! Why?!
> >
> > ..I installed _everything_ until Lenny, and
> > played around and reported mostly conflict
> > bugs. And, Sid provides a softer growth than
> > the dist-upgrade disk usage shocks. ;o)
> >
> > ..most people will want "comfy space" to play
> > around in and learn, these days that's easily
> > 20GB, and for your next machine in say 5 years,
> > easily 50GB.
>
> This still seems very high. My /usr currently uses 2GB, and while I
> admit I'm pretty parsimonious, I really don't see the point in 20.
> HDDs are large today, but my machine only has 60.

..maybe, Bill Gates once voiced similar concerns over
excessive ram at 640kB. ;o)

> > > Why? What's in your var?
> >
> > .. mount points for /var/www and var/log
> > (22GB and 2.2GB), 1.6GB in var/tmp,
> > 1.3GB in /var/lib, 179MB in /var/cache and
> > 120MB in /var/mail, to name the big ones.
>
> Yes, I understand a few GB for /var/log, but many webservers aren't
> serving anything close to 20 GB of content.

..maybe, I do it for my own use though. ;o)