Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Adrian Chapela

Default HP Proliant ML110 G6 installation

En 15/11/10 13:18, Paul Cartwright escribiu:
> On 11/15/2010 07:03 AM, Adrian Chapela wrote:
>> I am trying to install Debian on a Proliant ML110 G6 with Debian 5.0.6.
>> The installer isn't detecting my sata disk, is this normal ? Debian
>> hasn't the drivers of the smart array controller ?
>>
>> Regards. Thank you!
> I had a problem with proliants in the past, not having drivers for "the
> latest" disk type.. You might want to google your specific hardware &
> Proliant.. When I had the problem it was installing RHEL & I was able to
> call redhat.. because the customer had a contract
>
> did you try a knoppix LiveCD?? you might want to try a LiveCD, ubuntu,
> knoppix.. to see if another distro sees your sata disk, then look at the
> drivers they use...
Now, there is no problem. I tried to install without graphical install
and now the disk was detected, maybe is a problem of graphical install,
I don't know because I usually use the no graphical installation.

Regards!

Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:03:14 +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian on a Proliant ML110 G6 with Debian 5.0.6.
> The installer isn't detecting my sata disk, is this normal ? Debian
> hasn't the drivers of the smart array controller ?

http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant

Look for "HW RAID B110i" row.

I guess you'll have to install manufacturer's firmware in order to get
"fake" RAID detected... but think it twice before choosing this option
>:-)

I would go with AHCI (if available in BIOS) for SATA controller and then
if you need RAID facilities, setup with standard linux raid (md) or buy a
real hardware raid controller.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Eike Lantzsch

On Monday 15 November 2010 09:35:30 Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:03:14 +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:
> > I am trying to install Debian on a Proliant ML110 G6 with Debian 5.0.6.
> > The installer isn't detecting my sata disk, is this normal ? Debian
> > hasn't the drivers of the smart array controller ?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant
>
> Look for "HW RAID B110i" row.
>
> I guess you'll have to install manufacturer's firmware in order to get
> "fake" RAID detected... but think it twice before choosing this option
>
> >:-)
>
> I would go with AHCI (if available in BIOS) for SATA controller and then
> if you need RAID facilities, setup with standard linux raid (md) or buy a
> real hardware raid controller.

I think that the Smart Array Controller IS a hardware RAID controller.

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
Casilla de Correo 1519

Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:32:49 -0300, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> On Monday 15 November 2010 09:35:30 Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:03:14 +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:
>> > I am trying to install Debian on a Proliant ML110 G6 with Debian
>> > 5.0.6. The installer isn't detecting my sata disk, is this normal ?
>> > Debian hasn't the drivers of the smart array controller ?
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant
>>
>> Look for "HW RAID B110i" row.
>>
>> I guess you'll have to install manufacturer's firmware in order to get
>> "fake" RAID detected... but think it twice before choosing this option
>>
>> >:-)
>>
>> I would go with AHCI (if available in BIOS) for SATA controller and
>> then if you need RAID facilities, setup with standard linux raid (md)
>> or buy a real hardware raid controller.
>
> I think that the Smart Array Controller IS a hardware RAID controller.

Careful with that. Not all smart array are "real hardware raid":

***
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13477_na/13477_na.HTML#Storage

Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller (RAID 0/1/10)
NOTE: Hardware RAID requires purchase of HP Smart Array P212 Controller.
***

Normally, hardware raid cards do not need to load any driver in order to
get the array detected because required module is included in the stock
kernel (aacraid, cciss, megaraid, 3ware, ips...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón