-   -   Howto: Samsung ML-1915 with Debian Lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/452738-howto-samsung-ml-1915-debian-lenny.html)

Rodolfo Medina 11-15-2010 10:53 AM

Howto: Samsung ML-1915 with Debian Lenny

Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny without
installing *any* package at all:

Camaleón 11-15-2010 11:47 AM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:53:17 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny without
> installing *any* package at all:
>
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57364

A similiar workaround was available here:

GUIDE: How to make your Samsung ML-1915 work

Many printers (mostly PostScript based) only need the corresponding PPD
driver for basic printing functionalities... but I didn't know Samsung
SPL language based ones were also so easy to setup. While still using a
propietary specification (save that PPD file in a good place, just in
case) is good to know it works.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Simon Hollenbach 11-15-2010 12:14 PM

Howto: Samsung ML-1915 with Debian Lenny

> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny without

> installing *any* package at all:

> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57364

First of all, I installed the Debian print packages:

no comment

Rodolfo Medina 11-15-2010 01:16 PM

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:53:17 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny without
>> installing *any* package at all:
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57364
>
> A similiar workaround was available here:
>
> GUIDE: How to make your Samsung ML-1915 work

Yes, but:

1) it doesn't work for me: the ppd file alone is not enough; you also have to
copy the file `rastertosamsungspl' to /usr/lib/cups/filter;

2) it suggests to blacklist usblp, which is not necessary on my system and
besides creates some problem (see thread `Problems with
/etc/modprobe.conf').

Bye
Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina 11-15-2010 01:19 PM

Simon Hollenbach <ionpowered@googlemail.com> writes:

>> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny without
>> installing *any* package at all:
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?
> First of all, I installed the Debian print packages:
>
> no comment

I corrected it. I hope it is all right now. Thanks.
Rodolfo

Camaleón 11-15-2010 02:37 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:16:53 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 11:53:17 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>>> Easy way to make Samsung ML-1915 printer work with Debian Lenny
>>> without installing *any* package at all:
>>>
>>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57364
>>
>> A similiar workaround was available here:
>>
>> GUIDE: How to make your Samsung ML-1915 work
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=97460
>

> Yes, but:
>
> 1) it doesn't work for me: the ppd file alone is not enough; you also
> have to
> copy the file `rastertosamsungspl' to /usr/lib/cups/filter;
>
> 2) it suggests to blacklist usblp, which is not necessary on my system
> and
> besides creates some problem (see thread `Problems with
> /etc/modprobe.conf').

Oh, of course... that FAQ is for another distro, some steps can vary or
even not needed at all (like blacklisting usblp module, yes).

I just was empahtizing that sometimes it is not required to install all
the bunch of packages that manufacturers want we to install (i.e., hplip
suite).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Rodolfo Medina 11-15-2010 02:55 PM

Howto: Samsung ML-1915 with Debian Lenny

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:16:53 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> Camaleón writes:

> I just was empahtizing that sometimes it is not required to install all
> the bunch of packages that manufacturers want we to install (i.e., hplip
> suite).

Yes: furthermore, in this case, it is discouraged from installing the Samsung
original software: see

Rodolfo