Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Rob Hurle

Default Packages - what's the best way?

I'm quite new to debian and I'm getting my head around dpkg,
apt-get, aptitude and synaptic. Does anyone have advice on the best
way to handle a .deb package? Can I make up my own repository of .deb
packages and point apt-get at that to install packages? I've
installed one or two small things (gcc and gnu make) using dpkg, but I
wondered if there was a better way to do this. I've just downloaded
opera and it comes in a .deb package, so this is my next task. apt or
dpkg - or even synaptic?

Thanks for any help.

Rob Hurle

--