Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Sthu Deus

Default 3D acceleration on ATI

Good day.

I'm fighting w/ 3D acceleration on my new installation and have such
DRM related items in the X log file:

drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:05.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
(II) RADEON(0): [dri] Found DRI library version 1.3.0 and kernel module
version 1.32.0
(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering experimental on RS400/Xpress 200
enabled
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:05.0
(II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.3
(II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] Using the DRM lock SAREA also for drawables.
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xc8000000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] register handle = 0x2fff9000
(==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
(II) RADEON(0): [DRI] installation complete
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0x2b7ff000 at
0x7fbb664bc000 (II) RADEON(0): [drm] Closed DRM master.
(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(II) RADEON(0): EXA Composite requires CP on R5xx/IGP
(II) RADEON(0): num pipes is 1

in xorg.conf I have:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen "Screen1"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

#Section "Module"
# Load "glx"
# Load "GLcore"
# Load "extmod"
# Load "dbe"
# Load "record"
# Load "dri"
# Load "xtrap"
#EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
Option "XkbVariant" "winkeys"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
ModelName "LCD Unknown 1280x800"
# HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
# VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
# Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
ModelName "LCD Samsung 1600x900"
# HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
# VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
# Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
Option "DRI" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1600x900"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thank You for Your time.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 14 nov 10, 23:38:58, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>
> I'm fighting w/ 3D acceleration on my new installation and have such
> DRM related items in the X log file:

I don't see any errors here, please post the output of

glxinfo | grep rendering

(glxinfo is in package mesa-utils). You might also want to get rid of
the xorg.conf file, unless you are running Lenny (you did not specify).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:

> I don't see any errors here, please post the output of

Yea, there is no error, but for some reason You saw after xserver
has turned it on, it turns it off. Is it because I have second monitor
connected?

> glxinfo | grep rendering

Here it is:

direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

> (glxinfo is in package mesa-utils). You might also want to get rid of
> the xorg.conf file, unless you are running Lenny (you did not
> specify).

My fault. I use lenny.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 15 nov 10, 12:53:16, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:
>
> > I don't see any errors here, please post the output of
>
> Yea, there is no error, but for some reason You saw after xserver
> has turned it on, it turns it off. Is it because I have second monitor
> connected?
>
> > glxinfo | grep rendering
>
> Here it is:
>
> direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting
> LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
>
> > (glxinfo is in package mesa-utils). You might also want to get rid of
> > the xorg.conf file, unless you are running Lenny (you did not
> > specify).
>
> My fault. I use lenny.

Pure or do you have any packages from backports or so (especially
kernel)? Please also post the complete /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Thanks,
Andrei

Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:

> Pure or do you have any packages from backports or so (especially
> kernel)? Please also post the complete /var/log/Xorg.0.log

That's what I have from backports, kernel included:

dictionaries-common
firmware-linux-free
iceweasel
libcairo2
libdbus-glib-1-2
libetpan13
libgail-common
libgail18
libglib2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0
libmozjs2d
libnspr4-0d
libnss3-1d
libpixman-1-0
libsqlite3-0
linux-base
linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64
openoffice.org-base-core
openoffice.org-calc
openoffice.org-common
openoffice.org-core
openoffice.org-style-galaxy
openoffice.org-writer
qemu-kvm
ttf-opensymbol
uno-libs3
ure
xulrunner-1.9.1

Do You want me to post Xorg log right here? - for it is huge, or I can
attach it?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 15 nov 10, 20:33:27, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:
>
> > Pure or do you have any packages from backports or so (especially
> > kernel)? Please also post the complete /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> That's what I have from backports, kernel included:
> linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.5-amd64

Indeed.

> Do You want me to post Xorg log right here? - for it is huge, or I can
> attach it?

Try first with the kernel from stable. If it doesn't work you can attach
the full Xorg.0.log (maybe gzipped if the difference is significant).

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:

> Try first with the kernel from stable. If it doesn't work you can
> attach the full Xorg.0.log (maybe gzipped if the difference is
> significant).

Well... it did work... So, no option for me (w/ new kernel)?