Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Thierry San Juan

Default Thinkpad T61 Power Management

I installed Debian Sid on a new Thinkpad T61, and running into some
issues in regard to power management:

I am running kernel 2.6.24-1-amd64. I installed the tp-smapi-modules
through synaptic, and added the user to the "powerdev" group to enable
'suspend" mode.

1. When I press the "suspend" button, it exits out of the gnome
session, the screen goes into console, it shows that it is disabling
the wlan, suspends for a few seconds, then flickers, and gets back
into gnome session right away under the same logged in user, instead
of putting the laptop in suspend mode.

2. When running on battery, the Gnome Power Manager applet is unable
to read the battery status, the message reads: "battery discharge time
is currently unknown".

3. Has anyone been able to get the integrated camera on the Thinkpad
t61 to work? Ekiga showes no device, and Camorama cannot connect to /
dev/video0 (theer is no video0 under /dev).

Aside from those 3 issues, Debian Sid is running great on this laptop.
But I am going to be on the road very soon with it, so any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:43:12PM -0800, Thierry San Juan wrote:
> I installed Debian Sid on a new Thinkpad T61, and running into some
> issues in regard to power management:
>
> I am running kernel 2.6.24-1-amd64.

> 2. When running on battery, the Gnome Power Manager applet is unable
> to read the battery status, the message reads: "battery discharge time
> is currently unknown".

So far as I know, this is a problem with the latest kernels changing
their acpi interface. The battery status (and other acpi stuff, I
guess) is being moved over to the sysfs interface from the procfs
interface. Many (most? all?) of the clients programs that read that
data do not look in the right place yet. There are a few bug reports
that mention this, so I would assume it's being worked on.

I use this little gem:

batt_now=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now)
batt_full=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full)
batt_stat=$(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status)" "$(echo
"scale=2; ($batt_now*100)/$batt_full" | bc)" %"

to get a guess of the battery status on my lappy. This get's piped to
a stdin-reading taskbar (I used xmobar, dzen would work as well, and
maybe others), but that won't integrate into gnome very well, I
imagine.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Thierry San Juan

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

[...]

What is interesting is that "hibernate" works fine, although it is a
little slow to write to disk.
For the battery, I used to have an Acer with one of those "smart
battery", and I never was able to get the power manager to read the
battery status. Now, I have a Thinkpad, and still running into acpi
issues in regard to the battery. what a bummer.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, We'll get this resolved soon
enough.