Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

Default Newbie alert: Single package from unstable

On Vi, 12 nov 10, 15:32:05, Matt Simmons wrote:
> Hi, how can I install a package from unstable? (currently running testing)
> For example, I know it should be something like:
> # apt-get install uswsusp/unstable

Yes

> However, my output is:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Release 'unstable' for 'uswsusp' was not found
>
> But I konw that uswsusp has a package in unstable. Do I need to set
> something up in sources.list?

Yes

> If so, this is my current sources.list:
> deb http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
>
> Do I add another line that just contains the same thing, but with sid or
> unstable? Like:
> deb http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
>
> If so, how does apt differentiate between testing and unstable when I want
> to install a package? Do I always need to explicitly state <package>/testing
> or <package>/stable?

You should

# echo 'APT:efault-Release "squeeze";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

which is just the simplest way of pinning. But just for one package I
would first try to download it from packages.debian.org and use
'dpkg -i' to install it.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Hi, Matt:

On Friday 12 November 2010 21:32:05 Matt Simmons wrote:
> Hi, how can I install a package from unstable? (currently running testing)
> For example, I know it should be something like:
> # apt-get install uswsusp/unstable

You need:
1) To add sources for "unstable" to your sources list. I.e.:
/etc/apt/sources.list:
[...]
deb http://apt.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
2) Reload the sources:
apt-get update
3) Install the package telling the system you want the version from unstable:
apt-get -t sid install [my package]

Please pay attention that this will try to bring from unstable needed
depencies for [my package]. This can be OK or not for you.

If you just want *exactly* foo and anything else, you may need to recompile
the package, which I consider out of scope for a newbie.

More info reading man page for apt-get and related.

Cheers.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 13 nov 10, 01:14:53, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> Hi, Matt:
>
> On Friday 12 November 2010 21:32:05 Matt Simmons wrote:
> > Hi, how can I install a package from unstable? (currently running testing)
> > For example, I know it should be something like:
> > # apt-get install uswsusp/unstable
>
> You need:
> 1) To add sources for "unstable" to your sources list. I.e.:
> /etc/apt/sources.list:
> [...]
> deb http://apt.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
> 2) Reload the sources:
> apt-get update
> 3) Install the package telling the system you want the version from unstable:
> apt-get -t sid install [my package]

Some remarks:

- uswsusp does not exist in testing/squeeze, so you don't really need
the -t
- even if it existed in testing/squeeze, the version in unstable would
have precedence
- if no pinning is involved the system will be upgraded to unstable/sid
at the next upgrade

Regards,
Andrei